Saddle height - general guide advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Any advice for setting correct saddle height ?
For example, should the saddle generally be as high as possible ie it would be difficult to sit on if holding yourself stationary with 1 toe balancing you on the ground ? It is probably a major advantage in terms of applying force if the saddle is on the high rather than the low side but there must be a point were it gets a bit ridiculous ? It looks to me when I see pros on their bikes that saddles almost without exception seem set very, very high indeed.
Ta for any and all comments.

gavintc

Guru
The ground and your saddle height are not to be considered together. They are irrelevant to each other. You need to set your saddle relative to your pedals. As a rough rule of thumb, place your heel on your pedal at the lowest point of the pedal stroke. Your leg should be straight. Once you move your foot to the ball of the foot on the pedal, this will bring a slight bend to your leg. Play around with this till you are comfortable - up or down a few mms.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The usual general guidance is to find a starting point by turning the cranks so that one crank is parallel to the seat tube and the other just ahead of its lowest point. Sitting on the saddle and wearing the shoes you usually cycle in, put your heel on the lower pedal.

Your knee should be pretty much straight. If it isn't, or if you can't reach the pedal, get off and adjust the saddle until your knee is straight.

This is just to get a starting point: if you really don't feel comfortable with the reach to the ground, then feel free to lower it a bit. Depending on what sort of bike you have, and how high its bottom bracket is, the ground may be further away than you're comfy with.

Many beginners and casual cyclists have their saddles too low for efficiency, often by quite a large margin.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Ta for these replies. Have raised my saddle a tad in line with the advice re leg straight with heel on pedal. I`ll update this post with my perceptions after a ride tomorrow. Ta again for input.

montage

God Almighty
My advice - get a proffessional fit.

Some people can get away with a few MMs or even centimetres out....unfortunately I could not, now a buggered knee for I don't know how long. Better to prevent problems rather than cure them.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Well my perception is that raising the post .. perhaps only 2 - 3 mm has made a dramatic difference. This is of course only subjective but it feels much more efficient. Ta again for the advice. I`ll pass it on any opportunity I get.

Top Bottom