Saddle recommendations please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HeartfeltDawn

I had to give up cycling for nearly six months after rupturing my carotid artery last year (injury caused by being hit by a drunk driver when walking in 2002, artery developed a slight tear and over the years it got bigger until properly rupturing). Happily I've made a full recovery and celebrated last week by getting the bike out again and getting some miles in. Done just under 118 miles in four separate trips and the legs are a little sore now but happy.

What isn't happy is my posterior. I'm riding a Ridgeback Element, totally stock, and the arse was getting very sore. I'm training up for a 100 mile cycle trip in August (Bath to London, Action Research ride) and want a new saddle to use now and then. I'm a roads, cyclepath, and towpath cyclist.

Any recommendations from cheap to expensive are welcomed. I've read about the Selle An-Anatomica and it looks lovely. I'm really hunting around for suggestions now.

willem

Über Member
After six months of no cycling at all I think your behind needs to get used to it again. However, if you want a new saddle, I would strongly recommend a Brooks of some kind. They exist is various sizes from narrow to wide, and with and without springs. The more upright you sit, the wider the saddle you need. And the further apart your sitbones are, the wider the saddle. For many people the sprung Champion Flyer is a good bet (but not for me).
Willem

OP
OP
H

HeartfeltDawn

^^
Good point. Before the no-cycle period, I'd had four months cycling pretty much daily, anything from 10 to 40 miles, and I was getting sore then too.

jags

Guru
yes the brooks b17 is a great saddle so to is fizik alainti ,what about cycling shorts do you use them i have the assos excellent, and dont forget the chamois cream .

ASC1951

Guru
Brooks for me too. I now use a Swift, but most people prefer the B17. I've never had to use chamois cream or anything like it, but do wear proper padded shorts.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i have just taken a brooks team professional off. it was hard to break in, in fact i lent it out to try to help the break in process, it took thousands of miles. when it did break in i started getting a numb willy from all the potholes and rough roads. i am thinking of trying a sprung brooks but at moment gone back to the brompton standard. the brompton standard is really really comfy but it started giving me saddle sores after approx 2300 miles.

xilios

Veteran
Champion flyer fan here, it is perfect.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
bromptonfb said:
i have just taken a brooks team professional off. it was hard to break in, in fact i lent it out to try to help the break in process, it took thousands of miles. when it did break in i started getting a numb willy from all the potholes and rough roads. i am thinking of trying a sprung brooks but at moment gone back to the brompton standard. the brompton standard is really really comfy but it started giving me saddle sores after approx 2300 miles.

As has been mentiond on other threads, the adjustment of a Brooks is critical, especially the nose up/down angle.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Brooks B17 on my tourer which is excellent. At the other extreme I have two road bikes with Charge Spoon saddles - did 112 mile on one the other day in Lanzarote and it was excellent

Danny

Legendary Member
Tony said:
Brooks B17. None better....except another Brooks.
I used Brooks saddles exclusively for about 20 years until I suddenly started getting severe saddle sores.

I was advised by Blonde (now sadly absent from CC) to try a Selle Anatomica Titanico. It is expensive, but definitely the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden, particularly for long rides.

Top Bottom