Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm at a loss as to what type of saddle to get for maximum comfort. The saddle that came with the bike, although comfortable on the sit bones, was much too wide and was pinching the backs of my thighs. I then bought a skinny road-saddle but found the opposite i.e. was very comfy on the surrounding areas but the weight bearing bits felt like sitting on stone. I've now bought a second road-saddle with more gel on the back, but it still doesn't feel right.

I'm eager to do longer rides but it's always the pain in the arse that limits me! Any suggestions?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Charge Spoon or the more minimal version, Charge Knife. Everybody who tries them loves them. Good prices too.

However no saddle will be comfortable if you haven't got it set up right; for most men this means tilted up by about 5 degrees at the nose. There is also the question of the height of the saddle, its distance from the bars and the height of the bars, which determines how your weight is shared between hands and bum.

Lots of adjusting to do!

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Charge Spoon or the more minimal version, Charge Knife. Everybody who tries them loves them. Good prices too.

However no saddle will be comfortable if you haven't got it set up right; for most men this means tilted up by about 5 degrees at the nose. There is also the question of the height of the saddle, its distance from the bars and the height of the bars, which determines how your weight is shared between hands and bum.

Lots of adjusting to do!

Thanks for the advice. Yes I have done lots of adjusting in the past and now feel that I have it all set up correctly - I no longer have numb hands (my bars were too low before). Having said that, I've just got a Canecreek Thudbuster seatpost which angles back a lot more, so it has increased my reach distance by about 2 inches, but I'll just have to get used to it becasue the saddle won't go forward anymore.

BSRU

A Human Being
I do not know if it is true but I did read somewhere that Specialized offer a saddle fitting service.

Globalti

Legendary Member
All they do is sit you on a vinyl sheet, which keeps an imprint of your bum bones so they can measure and decide the width of saddle you need. You can do the same sitting on a piece of paper on the stair carpet.

Top Bottom