Samsung Galaxy A72 Discontinued

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It always takes me a while to make a decision on large purchases and I've been wavering between the Galaxy A72 and the A52s 5G for weeks.

Last night I decided to buy the A72 and checked the Samsung website as there was an £80 cash back offer. What I found was the A72 is shown as "not for sale" which I found an odd phrase.

I used the online chat service who told do me production had stopped and would not restart due to the phone's huge popularity and being sold out. Surely these are reasons to continue production? I for one would have waited.

The phone is available on Amazon but it seems odd for Samsung to withdraw a very well received product only 8 months after it's launch. I'm not keen on spending this amount on Amazon as my recent experience is poor. I bought a Samsung tablet which was delivered with a continental plug and now have to chase for a UK one. Unwanted hassle.

I'm now nervous about buying one as the message I'm getting is the mobile has a design problem of some sort.

Or am I overthinking this?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like it is discontinued, maybe due to chip availability?
You'll likely get a two pin charger with just about most phones/tablets.
Nothing very special about Samsung, you'll pay a premium and get lots of bloatware too. Look at models from Xiomi, Motorola or Nokia which will provide better bang for your bucks.
Check how the long the manufacturer will support your device.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Looks like it is discontinued, maybe due to chip availability?
You'll likely get a two pin charger with just about most phones/tablets.
Nothing very special about Samsung, you'll pay a premium and get lots of bloatware too. Look at models from Xiomi, Motorola or Nokia which will provide better bang for your bucks.
Check how the long the manufacturer will support your device.
Yep, understand and agree with much of what you say.

As regards Samsung overall my wife has used their phones happily for several years and the Which? reviews are positive. My son with SLD has had a Samsung tablet for five years and failed to break it!!! 😂 I'm not sufficiently technically competent to make informed choices beyond this. Samsung support appears to be four years.

I have very positive experience with Motorola but recent reviews and current product support aren't great. I may have another look.

Xiomi make me nervous with no apparent track record and Nokia seem to have been in the wilderness for decades. A Nokia was highly desirable in its day but the company seemed to lose its direction.

The the charger that's bonkers. I live in the UK and don't expect to pay extra for a UK charger.

USB c cable surely comes with it so you just need the plug it goes into. They're sold all over very cheaply. So why is there a problem with wrong plug? It's not like its a shaver with a proprietary plug that goes into the shaver or similar device. It's a phone that takes a USB c cable which goes into any USB socket which most mobile using households probably have loads of anyway.

I'm still using my Samsung a70. Still a decent phone. I'm looking at a cheap android phone for work now, reckon Chinese brand is best option. I basically need a decent camera since it's what my work phones get used for, that and the calculator. Oh and a decent ring volume or high violence in the vibration so I'll notice it in a loud workplace.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just but a continental plug caddy to convert it.
Only if it's a US type two pin flat, a two pin round will fit into a standard three pin square UK wall plug.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
USB c cable surely comes with it so you just need the plug it goes into. They're sold all over very cheaply. So why is there a problem with wrong plug? It's not like its a shaver with a proprietary plug that goes into the shaver or similar device. It's a phone that takes a USB c cable which goes into any USB socket which most mobile using households probably have loads of anyway.

I'm still using my Samsung a70. Still a decent phone. I'm looking at a cheap android phone for work now, reckon Chinese brand is best option. I basically need a decent camera since it's what my work phones get used for, that and the calculator. Oh and a decent ring volume or high violence in the vibration so I'll notice it in a loud workplace.
Both my current Motorola G6 and my wife's Samsung A51 require a specific plug for fast charging. I don't have experience of my wife's other than it's stated very specifically on the plug. With my Motorola the charging time without the specific plug doubles. I've had problems in the past using a cheap cable on an iPhone so I feel my caution regarding this plug is understandable. I'd argue it is a proprietary plug if it's required to achieve a certain standard of performance.

Aside from the above if a UK based seller offers a product in the UK it should be equipped with a UK plug otherwise it's not fit for purpose.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know about other makers but Apple have software installed on their devices that detects when a non Apple approved charging cable or brick is being used and slows down charging to a crawl.
To achieve fast charging times a specific charging brick is usually required.
Aside from the above if a UK based seller offers a product in the UK it should be equipped with a UK plug otherwise it's not fit for purpose.
Wish you luck with that :smile:

Top Bottom