Sanding down a stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Has anybody done such a thing? 22.5mm to 22mm doesnt seem to hard, but ...erm...this is moi and je suis pas de mekanik nesse pas:biggrin:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#stems

French Stems:
Sorry, we are not currently able to get any stems in the old French size.
French stems differ both in the size that fits into the steerer, and the size of the part that clamps on to the handlebar. Thus, if you want to replace the handlebars on a French bicycle, you will probably also need to replace the stem.

French stems are .2mm narrower where they fit into the steering column. A standard 7/8" / 22.2mm stem won't usually fit. In many cases, the limiting factor for fitting the stem in will be the headset locknut, rather than the steerer itself. Try removing the locknut before sanding down a stem. If the headset locknut is slightly tighter than the steerer, it can be enlarged easily with a small grinding wheel.

In cases where the stem really won't fit into the steerer, a few minutes work on the stem with sandpaper will usually do the trick. Wrap the sandpaper around the stem, grip it with your hand, and turn the stem round and round until it fits. You only need to remove 0.1 mm, which is 1/250", not much at all!

If you convert from a French stem to a standard one, you will also need to replace the handlebars, which are a different diameter.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you dont mind potentially sacrificing the stem BTFB (in case it goes sh1t shaped) , it should be quite do-able. We are talking the male part of a stem arent we ?
I'd clamp the stem and use some emerytape. Wrap the emery round the stem and do one side, then turn the stem and do t'other.

If you want some emery tape, i could post you some.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
..thanks for the offer however I have an electric sander which I might use:biggrin:

DON'T !
You will almost certainly put flats on it with an electric sander. Use emery cloth, elbow grease and work round and round the stem. check it with a vernier every couple of minutes. finish off with scotchbrite, coarse grade to start, gradually working to finer.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Isn't that just so....French. "Hevereebody uses 22.2, I sink we should go...22." Zey only do it to tease...

trj977

Über Member
Have you got any small engineering shops near you. May be possible to get somebody to turn it down in a lathe. Just a thought.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have..... file and sand paper - but that was to increase the drop of my Cinelli XA stem on my Herety - the stem sat quite high out of the headset due to the shape, I wanted it lower, so set about removing a few mm from about 15mm of stem...........worked a treat.... Just take your time, and cover up and parts you don't want to accidentally sand, when the paper slips.....

02GF74

Über Member
if you can somehow fit the stem to a drill to spin it round then use emery cloth, checking with vernier caliper should do it.

.1 mm off the radius is not that much.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

ok thanks. Electric sander is back in it's box feeling unwanted:biggrin:

...I have now found a french stem which fits perfectly...only it's to short for me as a large rider. I think I will take a 130mm 22.5mm and wedge it in my B&D workmate jobby attach said emery paper and run around in circles :tongue:

Top Bottom