Sanding & Painting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EJGV

I just purchased some bikes for my boyfriend & I, and we were looking to repainting our bikes.
We were just looking to see if anyone had any tips or advice on how to go about sanding & painting our bicycles, thanks!

jimboalee

The 'Hand painted' effect is quite a good theif deterant.

But, if you want a nice glossy smooth finish, take them to a local motor vehicle sprayer with a hot booth and practice some 'sweet-talking'.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you're serious about it and want a budget job, strip the bikes, rub down with wire wool to remove rust and take the sheen off the old paint, then wash the whole frame in hot soapy water and allow to dry before painting with a metal primer in a similar shade to the final coat. Rub down gently with some fine paper then wash again or at least go over it with a damp cloth.

If the frames are aluminium you ought to apply an etch primer to bare metal if you want to do a good job. This is the yellowy-green colour you see on aircraft before they get their livery

There are all kinds of fancy hand-applying paints for vehicles, for example alkyd resin paints but they are expensive. Believe it or not Dulux Once is an excellent paint with good coverage and a super shine, easily available in small pots. I used to paint my Land Rover wheels with it and it lasted well. Watch out for dribbles though. I expect you could achieve some rather cool pastel colour effects with this. Alternatively go for a matt, which is very trendy at the moment.

You'll need to arrange somewhere dust free where you can hang the frames up to dry for 48 hours. Professional painters will actually wet the floor of the paint shop to hold dust down.

Alkyd resin paints: http://www.hmgpaint.com/welcome/

Hand painting a vehicle: http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/Other.paint.top.html

Some cool pastels here: http://www.paintman.co.uk/paint-colour-chart-range-rover.html

THE definitive website on hand painting vehicles: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/

OP
OP
E

EJGV

Great, thanks so much guys! Your tips helped a lot, I'll be sure to keep them in mind.

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
I've just had an old steel frame sand blasted and primed, I'm planning to hand paint it myself I've never heard of using dulux once has anyone else used it I assume it's just the normal gloss. I was originally thinking of using hammerite, any other off the shelf suggestions?
Cheers
Gary

e-rider

crappy member
I've had a go at spaying a few frames in the past (10+ years ago; luckily I can afford to pay a frame builder to do it these days). I found that if you prep the frame very well, use decent primer and many thin coats (it's easy to get excited and put 2 thick coats on - not good) you should get a reasonable finish. The biggest problem I had using spray cans from Halfords was that the paint chips fairly easily so doesn't stay looking good for very long. When you consider the cost of the primer, paint and laquar, the hours spend preping, I would seroiusly consider either getting a spray auto company to do it or take if to a frame builder - basic spray jobs are about £65 ish, but an industrial power coat can be had for about £25. Beware if a non-cycle sprayer does it that they don't put 3mm of paint in all the threads on the frame!

tyred

Legendary Member
Japlac enamel is easily available and gives an excellent finish. I cetainly wouldn't use hammerite. It's overpriced and over-rated imo.

Globalti

Legendary Member
DON'T use hammerite, it's carp. Even Dulux Once gloss house paint is better.

As others have written, it's all in the preparation and the cleanliness during painting.

And definitely DON'T use cheapo aerosol car sprays. They are only good for tagging walls.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you are just interested in rust prevention and a quick tidy up rather than a nice glossy finish, there is an excellent paint called Punch Iron Guard. It comes in a strange square shaped tin and is non-drip. Great for keeping rust at bay (certainly better than Hammerite) but has more of a matt finish.

Top Bottom