Santander to Lagos, Portugal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denzil

Hi y'all.
I am looking for insights/guidance from anyone who has done something similar to cycling from Santander to Lagos/south Portugal, where my daughter lives. In 2022 I did LEJOG, so I am familiar with multi-day events, however that was fully supported by RAB and this time I intend to go solo. I plan to complete the journey in mid to late September, and the questions I have running through my head are:
1. I was planning to complete the ride in 8 days. I believe the shortest route is around 640 miles (1040 km), but is this the best route, and is averaging 80 miles a day, carrying my own gear reasonable?
2. How mountainous is the terrain? And if I am carrying my own gear should I change to a 12-32 rear mech?
3. Is this a good time of year to go?
4. I would prefer not too sleep out under the stars, but I don't really care about what accommodation I do sleep in: are there bike friendly places on the way that are better suited to this type of endeavour? Any particular places anyone would recommend?
5. My Spanish and Portuguese are rudimentary, is that a limiting factor?
Oh, by the way I'm 62 years old, but I will be well prepared.
Many thanks in anticipation of any responses.
Deane

Sallar55

Veteran
They say Spain is No 1 for mountain ranges in Europe. Santander is on the edge of the Picos and that's just starting . Some major route planning required if you want to avoid climbs going south. One option is the road version of the Ruta de Plata for going south but that's over in the west of the country.

Last edited:
Welcome Denzil,
8 days to traverse Spain/Portugal is very far from my idea of fun bit I'm familiar with that part of the world

1. I was planning to complete the ride in 8 days. I believe the shortest route is around 640 miles (1040 km), but is this the best route, and is averaging 80 miles a day, carrying my own gear reasonable?
What's "best" for me might not suit you. I have no idea what your own gear is - a change of underwear and a credit card or a wardrobe on wheels?

2. How mountainous is the terrain? And if I am carrying my own gear should I change to a 12-32 rear mech?
Spain is not flat. Neither is Portugal.
I'd suggest a decent route planner - I recommend CycleTravel It will give a good representation of the terrain.
The flattest route (away from Santander) would probably be EV1/Ruta de La Plata.
Taking a train from Santander over the mountains would make an 8 day race more comfortable. But at a price. It's beautiful country.
The obvious alternative is to stick with the coast, heading west from Santander then south along the Portuguese coast.

3. Is this a good time of year to go?
For reference, last September in southern Spain temperatures were into the high 30's.
Hydration is important. I always find prolonged exposure to strong sunlight can be disorienting.

4. I would prefer not too sleep out under the stars, but I don't really care about what accommodation I do sleep in: are there bike friendly places on the way that are better suited to this type of endeavour? Any particular places anyone would recommend?
Spain has hotels. And hostels. On an established route lots of familiarity with bikes. Recommendations? Spain. All of it.

5. My Spanish and Portuguese are rudimentary, is that a limiting factor?
Yes, but not adventure ending. Lots of food won't be translated properly by apps. Expect zero English in smaller places and a reluctance to try pretty much everywhere except the most touristy of places. A few basic phrases will help enormously.
Perhaps of more importance are the strange opening hours of stores/cafés and restaurants.

A few other things:
If your LeJog was part of a group consider the impact of being solo, in a foreign country. Not everyone likes it.
Also, you will need to consider what is "essential" for you to bring with you. We're all different. That will help a lot in deciding route and timing. Then do a few 80 mile rides fully loaded and reassess. You can search the forum here for inspiration.
Also consider your bike maintenance skills. On a tight schedule you may not have time to wait for a bike store to open.
There is always the possibility of hopping on a train.

I am not a cyclist and the idea of cycling from the top of the Iberian peninsula to the bottom in 8 days borders on criminality in my world. I'd much prefer to have a think about the things I wanted to see, the places I wanted to visit and then figure out how to get there on my bike. That rarely leads to the shortest, most direct route and usually drags me in to the mountains. ^_^
Bear in mind that some of the most spectacular experiences may be on rural "caminos" that may not be suitable for all bikes.
Of all places, Spain seems to me to be one of the least suitable places to "speed" through. It's a country for slowing down. A ghost town at 4pm becomes a charming, lively, friendly place at 8. The old towns look magical at night, full of people, atmosphere, stories and slow served delicious food as opposed to jarring, empty relics in bright sunlight. It's akin to going to México and eating at Taco Bell. It's México and it's Mexican food..... but it's really not.

My suggestion is to take your 8 days and ask yourself where you really want to go, what you really want to see and experience. Not what's the fastest/flattest/best.

Perhaps CGOAB might offer some inspiration. It has a very useful map feature too.

Good Luck!

Emanresu

They say Spain is No 1 for mountain ranges in Europe. Santander is on the edge of the Picos and that's just starting . Some major route planning required if you want to avoid climbs going south. One option is the road version of the Ruta de Plata for going south but that's over in the west of the country.

AFAIK @Sallar55 has covered this before but I'd suggest

Santander - Gijon - N630/Via De La Plata (see link below) - Seville - Lagos.

https://e2e.bike/e2e-bike/end-to-ends/spain-end-to-end/

Have done Seville north on the N630 and it's flattish apart from the Picos just south of Gijon. The N630 will allow you to cover the distance quickly as not sure the 'shortest route' has the consistent road surfaces for an 8 day journey.

You could miss the Picos (shame though) by taking the train from Santander to Palencia and then biking to Bonavente or Zamora. Zamora is a good spot to stop as is Salamanca, Caceres, Merida and Seville.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Santander/Palencia

Attachments

• Between Grimaldo and Plasencia.JPG
    Between Grimaldo and Plasencia.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Caceres N630.JPG
    Caceres N630.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 4

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Sticking to the coast is both further and hillier. You'd tend to replace a long and steady drag by a large number of steep and relatively short climbs.
Going relatively direct has a tough first day over the Cantabrians to Aguilar de Campoo or thereabouts (~ 115 km, climbing to ~1100m), but after that the plains of central Spain are fairly flat. There's the Sierra de Gredos, but going (more or less) between Salamanca and Caceres avoids the worst.

OP
OP
Denzil

Denzil

Welcome Denzil,
8 days to traverse Spain/Portugal is very far from my idea of fun bit I'm familiar with that part of the world

What's "best" for me might not suit you. I have no idea what your own gear is - a change of underwear and a credit card or a wardrobe on wheels?

Spain is not flat. Neither is Portugal.
I'd suggest a decent route planner - I recommend CycleTravel It will give a good representation of the terrain.
The flattest route (away from Santander) would probably be EV1/Ruta de La Plata.
Taking a train from Santander over the mountains would make an 8 day race more comfortable. But at a price. It's beautiful country.
The obvious alternative is to stick with the coast, heading west from Santander then south along the Portuguese coast.

For reference, last September in southern Spain temperatures were into the high 30's.
Hydration is important. I always find prolonged exposure to strong sunlight can be disorienting.

Spain has hotels. And hostels. On an established route lots of familiarity with bikes. Recommendations? Spain. All of it.

Yes, but not adventure ending. Lots of food won't be translated properly by apps. Expect zero English in smaller places and a reluctance to try pretty much everywhere except the most touristy of places. A few basic phrases will help enormously.
Perhaps of more importance are the strange opening hours of stores/cafés and restaurants.

A few other things:
If your LeJog was part of a group consider the impact of being solo, in a foreign country. Not everyone likes it.
Also, you will need to consider what is "essential" for you to bring with you. We're all different. That will help a lot in deciding route and timing. Then do a few 80 mile rides fully loaded and reassess. You can search the forum here for inspiration.
Also consider your bike maintenance skills. On a tight schedule you may not have time to wait for a bike store to open.
There is always the possibility of hopping on a train.

I am not a cyclist and the idea of cycling from the top of the Iberian peninsula to the bottom in 8 days borders on criminality in my world. I'd much prefer to have a think about the things I wanted to see, the places I wanted to visit and then figure out how to get there on my bike. That rarely leads to the shortest, most direct route and usually drags me in to the mountains. ^_^
Bear in mind that some of the most spectacular experiences may be on rural "caminos" that may not be suitable for all bikes.
Of all places, Spain seems to me to be one of the least suitable places to "speed" through. It's a country for slowing down. A ghost town at 4pm becomes a charming, lively, friendly place at 8. The old towns look magical at night, full of people, atmosphere, stories and slow served delicious food as opposed to jarring, empty relics in bright sunlight. It's akin to going to México and eating at Taco Bell. It's México and it's Mexican food..... but it's really not.

My suggestion is to take your 8 days and ask yourself where you really want to go, what you really want to see and experience. Not what's the fastest/flattest/best.

Perhaps CGOAB might offer some inspiration. It has a very useful map feature too.

Good Luck!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive response, and to provide some great insights. It is very much appreciated. 🤓😃

Top Bottom