Sat, 27th May, 2017. Scenic 100 mile ride Todmorden-Wray (100 km option from Whalley)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I forgot to include GPX files. I have attached 2 below. One is from Todmorden to Spring Wood. The other is the main 103 km Forest of Bowland loop.

See y'all / y'both at the park gates at 09:00.

Attachments

• Tod to Spring Wood Whalley.gpx
    5.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Cross of Greet Wray Bowland Knotts 103 km loop.gpx
    21.6 KB · Views: 63
Another terrific day out on the bike. The company, scenery and the route all made for a top day.

My Garmin stats read - total distance 109.8 miles (this includes 12 miles to and from the start/finish at Todmorden) and 9304 ft of climbing. The biggest climbs were Cross ‘O Greets on the outward leg and Bowland Knotts on the return leg. Not massively steep but very long. The effort is well worth it for the stunning views and remote landscape.

The rear wheel puncture fairy paid me a visit but at least it happened at a ‘convenient’ place just ¼ mile from our café stop at the remote village of Wray – the north western most point of our route. So it could be fixed in very hospitable surroundings, within the tea room garden.

We talked about all things bike and plenty of non bike topics too. As well as @ColinJ, it was a pleasure to ride again with @Starchivore (Thomas) as the three of us enjoyed each others company. The Forest of Bowland really is a delight for cyclists.

Many thanks to Colin for planning such a superb route and coordinating the day.

This year’s century rides are stacking up and by the end of next weekend that should be 3 'tons' in the bag over a 4 week period.

I think we three will not need any rocking tonight.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, it was a great day out on the bikes together.

It was a cool, misty start and we had a cross/headwind to contend with on the way out but the sun emerged from the clouds before we got to Wray and the wind dropped a little.

It was nice to meet Starchivore. It was actually his first imperial century but he is clearly very fit so he didn't have any problems with it.

I needed to do a couple of miles more to get my century in so I ordered a pizza and then rode an extra loop with Thomas while the pizza was being prepared. It didn't take long to demolish that once I got it home!

Here are a couple of photos I took on the way to the cafe stop at Wray ...

Littgull and Starchivore on way to Cross of Greet.jpg

Road towards Cross of Greet.jpg

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Thanks a lot guys, it was a great ride. I'm really pleased to have done my first century- and I respect you both for doing them regularly! I'm glad you got your pizza back without damage or accident Colin- I ate and ate and ate after getting back, but I feel fine today.

Great route and company, so thanks very much.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm glad you got your pizza back without damage or accident Colin
I decided not to risk riding back with it one-handed so I walked the bike home. It was only about a 5 minute stroll.

Great route and company, so thanks very much.
Plenty more rides coming up! Watch out for them if you fancy more of the same, or I could add @Starchivore to my forum ride tag list and then you would get automatic notifications every time? One ride you really ought to try to do (as I mentioned during the ride) is the Season of Mists on October 8th this year.

PS I mentioned you to my pal Bill today and he thinks he remembers riding with you, your dad, and his friend Terry on the particular edition of Spring into the Dales that you were talking about. He said that the man he is thinking of as your dad is stocky, bald(ing?) and a strong rider?

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I decided not to risk riding back with it one-handed so I walked the bike home. It was only about a 5 minute stroll.

Plenty more rides coming up! Watch out for them if you fancy more of the same, or I could add @Starchivore to my forum ride tag list and then you would get automatic notifications every time? One ride you really ought to try to do (as I mentioned during the ride) is the Season of Mists on October 8th this year.

PS I mentioned you to my pal Bill today and he thinks he remembers riding with you, your dad, and his friend Terry on the particular edition of Spring into the Dales that you were talking about. He said that the man he is thinking of as your dad is stocky, bald(ing?) and a strong rider?

Yeah, please do tag me. I probably would only do a long ride like that a few times a year, but it depends on what weekends they fall and I can certainly be tempted!

Ah, that sounds about right- and I do remember there being someone else with us too. My dad sports a monk-cut, and if he shed the extra stones he would be a very serious climber. He hasn't ridden so much in the past year, except for getting around, and has had a couple of falls which have set him back a bit.

Top Bottom