SatNav for car and bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

I should point out it is only something I would use on occasion. For example if I was going to try a new ride for the first time. I don't want to waste my free time (which with two young kids is limited) getting lost. I want to be able to go on good rides without the worry of getting lost, or having to stop, fiddle with an OS map etc. For me a satnav would free me up to just enjoy the ride, knowing I'll get home for tea:biggrin:.

In the car it would only be for occasional use as well, for example, finding my way across Edinburgh to get to cycle maintenance courses!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
Have you got Google maps and GPS on your phone? Far better than irritating SatNav.

I've got google maps, but not GPS, so I need the receiver. Also amazegps looks like good software and I have a flat rate download pack for the phone, so data charges shouldn't be a major issue.

magnatom said:
I should point out it is only something I would use on occasion. For example if I was going to try a new ride for the first time. I don't want to waste my free time (which with two young kids is limited) getting lost. I want to be able to go on good rides without the worry of getting lost, or having to stop, fiddle with an OS map etc. For me a satnav would free me up to just enjoy the ride, knowing I'll get home for tea:biggrin:.

In the car it would only be for occasional use as well, for example, finding my way across Edinburgh to get to cycle maintenance courses!

See, I told you in another post everyone. Magnatom is the cycling equivalent of Mr. Magoo

MrMagoo.jpg

Saddle bum

Über Member
There is a big difference between a twat nav and a GPS unit.

I use a Garmin Etrex GPS in combination with a computer map system and upload the items I want onto the GPS unit. I does require a bit of savvy, but I find it works.

Garmin Etrex = £70 upwards (for more sophisticated models).

It fits both car and bike, with dedicated mounts. I adapted the bike mout to sit on the 'bar extension. The car one sits in the reassigned ashtray.

fullingdale

magnatom said:
There is always this...

I don't think that I would trust the safety of a £300 phone to a £7 clip, where the reviews suggest that you will be collecting your phone from the roadside after each pothole.

Had a similar clip thing in my car and eventually dumped it after getting fed up with digging around in the footwells for my phone.

Top Bottom