savethectc TECH HELP NEEDED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm a tech numpty. I use two yahoo addresses to send out stuff to the mailing list which is about 1300 strong. This takes a while because Yahoo frowns on mass e-mailing.

My source at the CTC's National Office (is there really any need to phone at 2.30 in the morning?) tells me that tomorrow afternoon's Newsnet is going to go large on the case for the takeover. I can probably respond in some measure to those 1300 addresses with an e-mail entitled 'What Newsnet isn't telling You'. However - I have lately received, from an impeccable source, another 3300 e-mail addresses in an Excel file. These are the great and the good of Britain's cycling community. There's no way that Yahoo is going to let me get these out in one afternoon? Is there any way that I can get a simple text e-mail with links to the savethectc blog, the CTC forum, and Cycle Chat? Or is there anybody here who could do the job for me?

Bman

Guru
It can be done with a vbs script.

All you (or I) would need is your ISP's SMTP server details.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Bongman said:
It can be done with a vbs script.

All you (or I) would need is your ISP's SMTP server details.
(Dellzeqq places pearl handled revolver to temple, thinks better of it and goes off to find piece of paper left by young man who installed wireless network,,,,,)

Bman

Guru
Ive even got a script that Ive easily edited to do just what you want.

I can help you get it working, if we are quick :blush:

Bman

Guru
What I need now, is your ISP details. If you are with Virgin Media, it will be very simple :blush:

What the script does, is read a text file, line by line to grab the recipients email address, then fires off an email with the specified body, to that address, then moves onto the next line (of the text file)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We're with an outfit called Eclipse, and I have a number beginning with 192 and a couple of numbers starting in 212, which I think are something to do with 'DNS' (or may be New York telephone numbers). How am I doing? (Bongman reaches for hammer..)

Bear in mind that this e-mail should really go out tomorrow afternoon, not today...

Bman

Guru
A quick google reveals the SMTP server is smtp.eclipse.co.uk

I'm about to update my quoted script to show this.

Edit: Done.

Now we need to test it and show you how to manipulate the script to your own ends. I know you say your "a tech numpty", but it really isnt that difficult.

Bman

Guru
I assume Eclipse is a home ISP and not a buisness ISP, so you are directly connected to the internet?

The next step is to save this script to your computer. To do this, create a new folder somewhere on your pc (for instance, your desktop)

In there, you will need to create two text files. one of them called "Emails.txt".

In this text file, type your email address (as this is just a test so far) and save the file.

The second text file, we want to rename to CTCEMAIL.VBS and the icon should change to this :

Bman

Guru
Del... See your PM

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
good grief! Bongman has, at grave risk to his mental health, taken this extraordinarily ungifted fellow through the art of e-mailing. I am a happy chappy! Many thanks, Bongtastic One!

Top Bottom