Saw this electric bike today, not the normal e-bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1666223514227.png

1666223553513.png
Now that's what I call an electric bike. German number plates, did not meet the rider.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What make is it?

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

I was told made in USA, it is the second bike I have seen on charge, the other was a BMW, this one had German number plates. I don't know when it ceases to be a moped and becomes a motor bike, I know the rules changed, it was an engine under 50 cc and being capable of being propelled with pedals, when I had my Honda P50, the step through was not a moped, as no pedals, I remember my dad having to take his motor bike test to ride a 50 cc Honda which folded up and went in boot of car, and once he passed on this he could have bought a 1000 cc motor bike.

But today that is no longer true, if the bike can deliver over 250 watts on a continuous bases then a moped not an e-bike, however at what peak power it does not say, so likely 350 watt peak OK, but unlikely 1000 watt is OK, and rules not being retrospective also make it hard as old e-bikes can have a throttle but not new.

But this one was clearly a motor bike. Would not want to pick it up if it fell over.

richtea

There are three large capacity* electric motorcycles available at the moment, but all are still pretty rare in the UK:
- Zero (the one spotted above)
- Livewire (aka Harley Davidson)
- Energica

They are all competent usable motorbikes, but very expensive - £20k upwards for ones that can tour rather than just potter around town.
I know people with Zeros and Energicas, but not Livewire. They rate both of them as excellent if a little quirky compared to petrol motorbikes.
Unlike the other two the Zero doesn't have fast charging, so it's seriously limited in terms of day-long riding.

I've seriously considered Energicas but the cost is just too high at the moment, and their rarity means secondhand machines are very scarce.

*capacity as in performance & battery life.

Top Bottom