Scavenging?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thegrumpybiker

Arch said:
If only they were all like that. I'd like to see them actually set up for people to go along and buy stuff - timber, scrap metal, bikes, furniture etc....

As you said before, elf and safety. That coupled with litigation culture. "I bought this table from the tip, and got a splinter in my finger, I'm suing." That's why my local "recycling centre" won't do it. They've got a container load of perfectly usable stuff though, don't know what they do with it.

longers

Legendary Member
Have a disclaimer when they "buy".

Just a simple one: I am buying this/these item/s as seen and accept that no refunds or returns will be offered. If the item is unsuitable for my needs I can bring it back for resale or re-use and no refund will be given. I accept that it is my responsibility to ensure that the item/s are suitable for my needs.

I am not a lawyer though. As is probably obvious.

ASC1951

Guru
Arch said:
I hate seeing things go to waste
A while ago I followed a long correspondence in one of the papers about this. The winner was someone whose mother kept a cocoa tin in the kitchen labelled "Pieces of string too short to be useful."

even with a disclaimer like that goods sold in the uk usually have to be fit for purpose, hence my dad once buying what looked like a wreck of a car from a dealership that was marked "sold as seen" after a bit of arguing the point it got some new tyres, brake pads and an MOT as my dad pointed out it had to be fit and also safe to be driven.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
ASC1951 said:
A while ago I followed a long correspondence in one of the papers about this. The winner was someone whose mother kept a cocoa tin in the kitchen labelled "Pieces of string too short to be useful."

:thumbsup::blush:xx(

I have a little basket with string, and labels etc in it. Next to it is a jar of short pieces of string, and rubber bands that the postman drops. :tongue:

There is a tip in Warwickshire, near Stratford with a sort of "put your reuseable stuff here, and we will see if someone else wants it." I think it has a better name than that, I will look for the linky wotsit.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Burton Farm Recycling Shop, near Stratford upon Avon, run by a Hospice Charity and on the same site as a "tip" - is this what you are thinking of Longers?

Scroll down the page to Burton Farm.

http://www.theshakespearehospice.org.uk/retail/

I have not been there, but people who have visited it, say it is good.
Also provides constructive employment for a few people.

(It is just a bit too far for me to work there).

Arch

Married to Night Train
ASC1951 said:

I love that woman.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Arch said:
It would take space, and some staff who cared enough to see it ran smoothly. You need the space to lay stuff out, preferably roughly sorted into categories. Obviously really knackered stuff could still go into skips. Stuff could sit out for a week maybe, or a month (some stuff would suffer more from the weather), and then if no one wanted it, be junked.

That's exactly what they do at my local place, up near Whitely and they do it at the one near Portsmouth too. I think they do it in Winchester as well. There's always people browsing for stuff whenever I go up. It must be a Hampshire County Council initiative, or something like that. Great idea though! I think it's got a lot to do with the local culture. I think that if someone turned up with something that they'd bought for a few quid - and wanted their money back, the guys running the place would have the attitude of, "Jou ees haveeng a little ha ha, isn't eet?" (They are Polish!).

Arch

Married to Night Train
That's good to hear! Presumably it's been contracted out to people with an eye for a chance - in a good way!

Top Bottom