Schiphol airport bike packaging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScottsWheeler

Hi. I'm cycling to Amsterdam next week, flying back from Schiphol. I know I can buy a bike box at the airport but does anyone know if I can also get bike packaging material at the same place? Or do I have to buy/acquire it separately?.

I've searched the internet and cannot find any reference to packaging, so any help would be much appreciated.

Sallar55

Veteran
Your best bet is buying pipe lagging from a builders merchants or a foam fitness mat from the likes of Decathlon and cut it up then use some tape. Decathlon also do cheap bike bags. That's how we sorted the bikes for flying back from Malaga after cycling down through Spain.

Debade

Über Member
Another thought if you have time is to call or visit some bike shops. It worked for us in France and the States. The store in Paris was amazing. They treated us great. Others store owners were willing to help. Only one wanted to charge for the box and the foam to protect the parts. But even his price was not unreasonable.

We packed at our hotel and needed a car that could carry the bikes to the airport. That added some expense.

Sixmile

Veteran
I didn't see any packaging material for sale when we were there a few years ago. You may be able to get some scraps of extra cardboard from some of the shops on the main level. On past tours I've packed some pound shop kids swimming armbands for extra bike protection. They are relatively lightweight & small to carry but very useful when inflated to pack around forks and particular points of the frame.

OP
OP
ScottsWheeler

ScottsWheeler

I didn't see any packaging material for sale when we were there a few years ago. You may be able to get some scraps of extra cardboard from some of the shops on the main level. On past tours I've packed some pound shop kids swimming armbands for extra bike protection. They are relatively lightweight & small to carry but very useful when inflated to pack around forks and particular points of the frame.

OK, thanks, that's really useful to know. Looks like I'll be picking some packaging up on the way to the airport. I've been in touch with a bike shop who says we can have some of their discarded packing for free.

OP
OP
ScottsWheeler

ScottsWheeler

Having now flown back from Schiphol, I can confirm the arrangements there for anyone wanting to bring their bike back in a box.

First, it's so easy to cycle right up to the terminal on the dedicated cycle paths. Then you need to look for the lift from the arrivals level down to baggage and storage, just past the information point. That's where you buy the boxes, but note there is no sign mentioning cycles, and there aren't that many people around to ask.

The boxes are very sturdy, and large enough to take a road bike with both wheels still on. Important note - there are no packaging materials available, so if you want the peace of mind of having a well-padded bicycle, you have to acquire this beforehand. I actually didn't do this as the box looked strong enough, but I did take some duct tape to strengthen the box joins. The box is 22cm wide, so it's unlikely you will get away with just turning the handlebars - I had to take them off and attach them to the frame with the tape.

Be prepared from some jiggery pokery to get the box to check in. It's 1.75m wide and therefore will not go into the lift without taking it off the trolley. Also note that, at the oversize baggage area, they lay the box flat. so it's worth padding the derailleur to protect it.

Happily, the bike arrived at Heathrow undamaged. Finally, as many others have mentioned, don't forget to let your tyres down. If you're travelling with BA, they remind you at check in.

dimrub

I'm not sure about AMS, but I recently flew out of ZRH, and not only did they provide the boxes free of charge, when we asked nicely, they gave us a roll of tape (there's always tape at airports, I guess), a roll of bubble wrap (that was a nice surprise) and scissors - everything we needed in order to packet our bicycles in the most secure way imaginable.

james.martinez

Really helpful, can you advise how much the boxes cost?

30 euros

james.martinez

I just flew from Amsterdam. I rode from the city to the airport in about 45 mins. Lovely ride. I found the bike area as per the post above. Agree that it is a little tricky to find. Just look for the lost and found / baggage storage. It’s under the arrivals area.

Bike box is 30 euros (as of today anyway). As the post above stated, you need bring some tape and padding as they literally just provide the box. They were surprisingly very large though, and I didn’t need to remove either wheel (I’m on a Merida Silex 400 gravel bike).

Hot tip - skip the queue and go straight to the ‘staff check in’. I was sent there as the bike box wasn’t working in the thin, windy queue. Skipped about 150 people!! Very unexpected.

Good luck!

Sixmile

Veteran
Also be prepared for others to approach you to ask about the boxes and/or assistance while you're dismantling your bike to put in the box. One of the few who approached me, was a woman who'd just bought a box and had her bike in its complete state and didn't have one tool on her but had a flight in a few hours. She thought the boxes took the bike in its completed state - if you also think that beware, some dismantling is required :laugh:

Top Bottom