Schraeder Valves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I took the front wheel off my delta trike as it was hissing at the valve. Took the tube out and let some air out & it stopped hissing but it seems quite 'full' and round. Normally tubes go down. Water was bubbling out of the valve a little. Could it be that slime had been put in? I've never come across that before, so excuse my ignorance. Can you replace the little thing in the middle if the valve's faulty as it's a perfectly good tube other than that? I bought the recumbent when Ian Simms from Greenspeed came over to a show at Nottingham, so maybe they put slime in it.

Of course it would be easy just to dump the tube, they're only a few quid but I'd just like to know, as I've always been used to Presta.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
You can certainly obtain Schraeder valve cores and replace the one in your tube. You can get a special tool from a motor factors for a few bob. Water can be introduced into the tube by commercial inflators at say a garage if their air dryers have not been serviced or if ther don't use an air dryer.To be honest, by the time you have bought a tool and a pack of valve cores, you may as well have changed the tube. Of course you could always plead helpless at your local car tyre depot as they will have hundreds of valve cores laying about.

Cheule

You can certainly obtain Schraeder valve cores and replace the one in your tube. You can get a special tool from a motor factors for a few bob. Water can be introduced into the tube by commercial inflators at say a garage if their air dryers have not been serviced or if ther don't use an air dryer.To be honest, by the time you have bought a tool and a pack of valve cores, you may as well have changed the tube. Of course you could always plead helpless at your local car tyre depot as they will have hundreds of valve cores laying about.

Not sure about valve cores but generally you get a removal tool free each time you buy one of those sludge bottles.

e-rider

crappy member
The most likely casue is that the valve core has come loose. Get the correct tool and try tightening it up (£1.99 in Halfords). If that doesn't work, for the sake of £3 I'd just replace the tube and be done with it.

The most likely casue is that the valve core has come loose. Get the correct tool and try tightening it up (£1.99 in Halfords). If that doesn't work, for the sake of £3 I'd just replace the tube and be done with it.

You can also get metal dust caps for your tubes that have a valve core remover built into them; most garages an tyre fitting places will sell them to you for pennies. I have fitted these to the valves on our bikes, and trailers, and always check the tightness of the valve core when I have to re-inflate a tyre.

byegad

Legendary Member
+1 Loose or stuck valve.

I only use Schraeders and had this once, on a car some 30 years ago. So rare but easily solved. If slime has been used it can clog the valve. Frankly I don't see the point of the stuff but if you are an urban rider maybe the broken glass justifies it!

OP
OP
Campfire

Campfire

Über Member
Well, I just changed the tube. I changed tyres and tubes on another bike (my Gitane) the previous owner had put Schraeder on Mavics lightweight rims. The mechanic gave me the inner and I bought the little gadget to go with it for £1.

Still, I'll have a go with the other inner tube, nothiing lost.

Top Bottom