Scott Speedster S60 or Specialized Allez 27?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt

Been looking for a new road bike for a few weeks now. I have narrowed it down to the Scott Speedster S60, and the Specialized Allez 27. I'm not really an expert on bikes so just wanted some other peoples opinions on these two. Ideally I wasnt going to spend over £500, but the local bike shops (Evans and Harry Hall) have 10% off so would stretch my budget slightly to about £550

Anyway there isnt too much in the prices. The specialized is £566.99 and the Scott is 586.99. These prices are without the discount added

Scott Speedster
Specialized Allez 27

Any help would be great

Thanks

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Have a Specialized Allez and its great! Scott are a well regarded make too though. Just remember, no one can tell you which is better for you, as it is down to your personal preference at the end of the day, but dont buy one without at least trying the other or you will always wonder what if?

Once you have done this, there will be a clear winner as far as the 'feel' of one over the other. The bike shop should play a big part too, getting the bike correctly set up then the support and help after you buy the bike is also a massive point to consider.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
M

Matt

Thanks Wigsie. Evans have said they could get me both in to try and see which I like better. I suppose its just personal choice. At Evans in Manchester they reccomended me the Scott over the Specialized. However I have seen the Specialized and it looks brilliant, I might just wait and see what the Scott looks and feels like before I make the decision

I have currently got a Giant SCR4 at the moment. Its a great bike but its a bit too big for me really.

wlc1

I've got an Allez 27 and an allez elite. I seriously can't fault them.

I'd say you'd be well happy if you brought one. As has been said - take one of each out for a ride and see what you think.

Also try your LBS - they may well be able to offer them cheaper in the current economic climate.

ellis

Guru
Aother Allez rider here also very happy. Got mine from Harry Halls as well, its a good bike shop think ill get my next bike from there unless i go for a boardman.

Personally id go for the allez, a friend i know has last years scott same very similar bike i think. the scott is quite a bit heavier than my allez it also has 2200 which isnt as good as sora. id go for the allez...

OP
OP
M

Matt

Just an update.

I went and bought the Allez today. Not the 27 though, but the 18 which is the same bike but less gears. However it has a compact gear thing so there are still easy gears for me to use in the hilly area I live in.

Looks brilliant! I'm picking it up on friday

Bought it from Bike Shak in Altringham. After getting a few prices from various shops these were the only shop that had it in stock and gave me a fantastic price.

The Allez 27 would have been a pain to get. Specialized were not expected to even send them out to shops until the end of march or april. I wasnt bothered anyway because the more gears wasnt really bothering me, but I thought for the extra £20-£30 more gears might have been better. I have been told by a different bikeshop that the compact gears on the 18 would suit me anyway

wlc1

Well done.

Don't forget to post some pics.... what colour did you go for ?

You'll love it.

OP
OP
M

Matt

I got the satin black one. I think that's the only colour they do in that model. It looks very smart and the curved top bar makes it look like a really expensive one. When I get it, I will post some pictures

Wigsie

Nincompoop
SWEEET, welcome to the club of happy Allez owners... I cant get enough of mine, i bring it into work with me so I can ride it at lunch!

My wife thinks I love it more than her and the kids!?!

Top Bottom