Screw 'em

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I'm sick of being polite to drivers, and taking secondary when I should be in primary. They (the minority) just take advantage, so now everyone will have to wait behind me, just because of the stupid minority.

Rant over.

Take primary, when you have to take primary. Give way, when it is right to give way. Smile, wave and acknowledge.

Everything else follows. Sorted.:smile:

HobbesChoice

Sam Kennedy said:
I'm sick of being polite to drivers, and taking secondary when I should be in primary. They (the minority) just take advantage, so now everyone will have to wait behind me, just because of the stupid minority.

Rant over.

With this cold weather that seems relentless and the few lousy drivers out there I can understand the rant! I get sick of being polite for the minority to spoil it, but just remember how good it feels when the decent ones show their appreciation at how polite you are! :smile:

yenrod

Sam Kennedy said:

Rant over.

I lost it being nice quite a while back...thoug, i will try and keep control for a long time ! :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It does feel amazingly good when you do make the effort to let drivers past, say when they otherwise wouldn't be able to. It's always worth doing so, especially when commuting as the regulars will see your manners, and some will appreciate your actions.

Of course I'd stick to primary and never compromise my own safety, that goes without saying.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sounds like you've been having some frustrating journeys Sam. Stay in primary when it's necessary and move over when you judge best. I find that when I'm polite and give a thumbs up to good driving and let motorists through the response is actually loads better but don;t let people bully you off or to the side of the road.

Make sure that it is obvious that you are moving over to secondary, when it is safe for you to do so. Even, maybe, signal left (though I rarely do that, the body language and the assertive re-positioning of the bike are signal enough). The point is, make it clear that you are aware of the following vehicles, and you are manoeuvring so as to optimise things both for you and for them. But be seen to be in control of the situation. That last is important.

bauldbairn

magnatom said:
Take primary, when you have to take primary. Give way, when it is right to give way. Smile, wave and acknowledge.

Everything else follows. Sorted.xx(

+1, I alway's feel better being polite and acknowledging good driving/overtaking - than getting wound up by the minority of poor drivers. :tongue:

manualtypist

It's been my new year's resolution to refrain from having to have a go at certain drivers...trying to keep calm instead. Staying primary when I need to and when they shout and overtake...jut letting it go.
So far so good...but I'm not sure how long it will last. :smile:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
661-Pete said:
Make sure that it is obvious that you are moving over to secondary, when it is safe for you to do so. Even, maybe, signal left (though I rarely do that, the body language and the assertive re-positioning of the bike are signal enough). The point is, make it clear that you are aware of the following vehicles, and you are manoeuvring so as to optimise things both for you and for them. But be seen to be in control of the situation. That last is important.

That is such good advice. There's a bit of my commute on a ring road where drivers are always itching to take an exit by cutting in front. If i take a very strong primary and keep checking over the shoulder they normally get the message and hang back. Swinging back into secondary once clear of the exit and a small raise of the right hand to the first one past that wasn't taking the exit confirms what i was doing.

Top Bottom