Screw it! or maybe not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Changed the chainrings. However I couldnt get enough adjustment from the front derailers low screw. So I removed it and tried a longer one of the same width and thread size. This screwed half way then became too tight, so unscrewed it. Now when I put the original back in that also gets too tight before going in all the way. Whats the easiest solution to this?

young Ed

Veteran
run a single on the front
i do and find i never need more than about 5 or 6 of the 7 rear gears, young fit strong legs does help with this one!
Cheers Ed

Cameronmu917772

I doubt re tapping the original hole will work. When you changed the chainrings you should of completely reset the derailleur back to zero and the cable housing adjusters. When fitting new parts I always take things back to step one to ensure it is correct . I would say better to hunt out a new one :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
When you say you changed the chainrings, do you mean just the rings or the crankset? I had similar trouble when fitting a new crankset with the wrong length bottom bracket.

OP
OP
U

User16625

I changed the crankset along with the rings. Couldnt find chain rings I wanted that didnt come with a new set of cranks. Rather than re-attach the chainrings to the old cranks, I stuck them on the bike with the new cranks. The BB is unchanged.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I changed the crankset along with the rings. Couldnt find chain rings I wanted that didnt come with a new set of cranks. Rather than re-attach the chainrings to the old cranks, I stuck them on the bike with the new cranks. The BB is unchanged.
That could be the problem then. What is the new crankset and does the recommended BB size match what is currently on the bike?

OP
OP
U

User16625

That could be the problem then. What is the new crankset and does the recommended BB size match what is currently on the bike?

New crankset is a shimano tiagra 10 speed. Seems to be working just fine without the screw in it, although I have only tested it with the bike upside down. Alignment and chain line seems fine.

The chain itself however........after installing it I realised I been a clumsey c****. As it wrapped around a part of the rear mech that isnt meant for chains to be wrapped around I had to undo the chain and put it in correctly. I reinserted the pin and everything seems fine but I hear this is a big issue with shimano chains. Apparently new pins should always be used. I will get a new pin just in case, but how much of an issue is this really?

Top Bottom