Seat height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

queen'o'hearts

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but can experienced mountain bikers please give me a heads up about seat height? I have a modified Diamondback, mostly for downhill only...and the original height of the seat was so high, my feet could not even touch the ground (mind you, I am all leg, not a shorty at all!). So my husband cut the post to where my toes could actually touch the ground. I still feel very uncomfortable with the height, would really like to take another inch off. I feel so much safer on the lower seated Specialized Hardrock I have, albeit not as cushy on the downhills as the Diamondback. Is there some kind of special advantage to having a seat so high, you can't even touch the ground? Am I missing something? I really want to be flat footed on the ground if I have to come to a stop, but not sure if the high seat has some kind of advantage that I'm not aware of.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

OP
OP
Q

queen'o'hearts

Thank you for the video, slowmotion...I obviously have much to learn still...I know my diamondback was specifically meant for downhilling but I have to ride up the hill first before I go down...and just a mere 8 miles takes me 20 minutes more on the DB vs the Specialized. Just want to make the DB a little more versatile to go up and down, I do feel better going down on the DB vs the Specialized but going up the hill is like torture to me. I guess I just need to adjust and test as needed, I think it has a lot more to do with the height of the seat...not too crazy about my rear shock (would like to get an air shock) but all I can do is take it one ride at a time and see what works best for me. At this point, not sure if cutting the seat post lower would be beneficial.

Cubist

Still wavin'
What model of Diamondback do you have? I ask because you mention "downhilling" but that is a very specific race discipline, and involves bikes that look like this
bike.jpg

A very heavy bike meant solely to be launched down very steep scary courses. If you don't intend to ride just DH you may need to think about a different bike. We can worry about set height when we know what you intend to ride. You'll ruin your knees and struggle to pedal if you insist on having your seat too low.

02GF74

Über Member
the original height of the seat was so high, my feet could not even touch the ground .

?????? eh????

when you are sat on the seat, your feet would be on the pedals - the pedals do not touch the ground so what makes you think that your feet should?

your feet should touch the ground when off the saddle and there should be nbeough clearance between the frame and your crotch, especially if you have gentlemens's bits.

To set saddle height, put pedal at its lowest position and in line with the seat tube, place your heel on the pedal and the correct seat height is when your leg is straight or very nearly straight - so when your foot is in the normal position on the pedal, your leg will be slightlty bent.

OP
OP
Q

queen'o'hearts

It's a Diamondback Strongbox with Drop Off 3 forks, Origin 8 stem and bars, Shimano Deore derailleur, Race Face headset, Shimano adjustable crankset, and WTB tires.

When I mentioned my feet couldn't touch the ground, I meant they couldn't touch when I was at a stop...totally wiped out the first time I rode in in the gravel because I'm so used to my feet holding me up when I stop. I did as you said 02GF74 as far as setting the saddle height (ok well haven't set it yet but I placed my heel on the pedal as suggested). Have to admit my leg was pretty bent. I guess it's time to raise the seat back up and learn to come to a stop without needing to put both feet on the ground. Makes me a bit uncomfortable trying the way I should be doing it, so will probably practice in soft grass until I get the hang of it.

I have taken this bike several times downhill from Roxy Ann peak (and rode up, what a pain!), but not down any crazy trails or anything like that, just stayed on the main dirt/gravel road as I am NOT ready for anything to technical. However I do love the thrill of going down fast. I guess what I'm most interested in is having a bike that can go up and down, I want the hill training to better condition myself and get in good shape, have to admit going downhill on the DB is more fun than my Specialized Hardrock, but the Specialized is so much easier going up. Still pretty new to this and learning the ropes (as I'm sure most of you can tell). Also, I have to do a lot of riding on the streets and through town just to get to the hills, which appears the DB is not very good for.

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it, I have so much to learn still.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
You might want the seat adjusted to a higher more efficient position like 02GF74 suggests for the uphill or safe trails/paths and set an inch or so lower for downhill/offroad stuff, so that you can lift out of the saddle and position your weight around the bike more easily, and also helps you put a foot down when needed. I think some people make use of a QR collar to adjust mid-ride for these reasons :smile:

OP
OP
Q

queen'o'hearts

Ok, have raised the seat up an inch, legs are still slightly bent but not too much...practiced stopping the "right" way in the grass and feel like a total idiot because it was a lot easier than I thought, thank goodness for hubs showing me how...now I know how to stand on the pedal and go forward towards the frame...was scared to try for awhile but I can do it now and is something I wish I had been doing already. :scratch:

Cubist

Still wavin'
:highfive:
Ok, have raised the seat up an inch, legs are still slightly bent but not too much...practiced stopping the "right" way in the grass and feel like a total idiot because it was a lot easier than I thought, thank goodness for hubs showing me how...now I know how to stand on the pedal and go forward towards the frame...was scared to try for awhile but I can do it now and is something I wish I had been doing already. :scratch:

Top Bottom