Seat post size help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nathanicola

I am using an old Raleigh flyer frame with the gear change on the down tube to build a retro racer. Looking to replace the seat tube for an alloy one as the chrome is starting to rust but the closest measurment i can get from measuring the top of the frame with a tape measure is 26mm but its not very accurate and i dont have a micro meter (or whatever there called). The new stems seem to be 25.4, 26.4, 26.8 27.0, 27.2. Can anyone tell me is there a standard size that the old raleigh's used.

Drago

Legendary Member
25.4 was a common old Raleigh size, but any decent LBS will latch the size if you take it in.

tyred

Legendary Member
It is probably either 25.4 or 26.4 but if in any doubt, take either the frame or the old seatpost to a decent bike shop.

Whatever you do, do not try to fit one that seems a little tight with a hammer...

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Cut a strip of paper about 1 inch wide by 5 inches long,wrap this around your seat post,mark a line where the full circumference would end.Now lay this out flat,measure the length with a ruler,in mm,divide this by 3.142 & you will have the size.
All this is easier than it sounds.

KateK

I've just had to replace an alloy seat post replacement for my old raleigh as the first one I bought was duff as it was actually smaller than it was marked and kept slipping. I ended up shearing a bolt trying to get it tight enough. The new replacement doesn't slip at all.

OP
OP
nathanicola

nathanicola

Cut a strip of paper about 1 inch wide by 5 inches long,wrap this around your seat post,mark a line where the full circumference would end.Now lay this out flat,measure the length with a ruler,in mm,divide this by 3.142 & you will have the size.
All this is easier than it sounds.
Of course why didn't i think of that lol. I'll try this later, thanks for replies chaps.

sidevalve

Über Member
Just for interests sake you can buy a basic vernier caliper guage for less than a fiver [and an electronic one for about £12] and it will be usefull for other jobs besides,[ measuring chain wear etc].
PS unless you're into engineering a micrometer is, although very accurate, maybe not for the job.

KateK

Just for interests sake you can buy a basic vernier caliper guage for less than a fiver [and an electronic one for about £12] and it will be usefull for other jobs besides,[ measuring chain wear etc].
PS unless you're into engineering a micrometer is, although very accurate, maybe not for the job.
Less than a fiver? very tempting. i always end up using one of those screwup spanner thingys (sorry vocabulary malfunction) and measuring the distance.

Top Bottom