Second hand KMX x series trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
When I realised on Tuesday I couldn't ride my current bikes for quite a while, I posted in a chat for a weekly ride I do, to say I might be in the market for a recumbent. As it happens, that day one had met someone, who had met someone else, who had a recumbent they had decided to sell! :smile:

I've had a chat and it's an KMX X-series sports trike that he inherited from the owner, who died unexpectedly of cancer. It's been sitting in a shed since COVID, and needs a service. Based on what looks like rust in the pictures I think it needs stripping, sanding and repainting too. He says it was £1,400 to buy a good number of years go. I've yet to ride it, and he just wants a reasonable offer, not an insulting one. I've attached the pictures.

I'm reading about trike now - but if you're happy for me to ask a couple of questions:
Are there things please I should be aware of while buying a trike, that I wouldn't be with an upright bike?
It might not be right for me anyway - but I'm also finding it hard to gauge pricing compared to an upright bike. I think it's lower end in terms of trikes, but do they hold their value better? There are only two electric ones on eBay, at £850 and £1,500 and it's hard to generalise from this. I'm thinking fairly low, but I don't want to inadvertently insult an older chap, who's selling his friends bike after he died.

Any suggestions great fully received. Thanks. :smile:

Attachments

• 7563eb29-c418-4dce-8e81-b8d2b5f38d79.jpg
    7563eb29-c418-4dce-8e81-b8d2b5f38d79.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 2293db1f-7991-4289-9784-47d5e83b455d.jpg
    2293db1f-7991-4289-9784-47d5e83b455d.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 697def86-4139-4af0-bc42-d898a994cb98.jpg
    697def86-4139-4af0-bc42-d898a994cb98.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 22
  • 7563eb29-c418-4dce-8e81-b8d2b5f38d79--.jpg
    7563eb29-c418-4dce-8e81-b8d2b5f38d79--.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

grldtnr

It's my opinion KMX are at the low end of recumbent trikes, it very much depends on your long term plans and if you consider the money buying this is disposable.
It will be very basic, at the very least , ask to have a ride of it before making an offer.
You ought to be able to buy a decent brand trike for around £1,000 mark, perhaps a little more ,for a machine that will be perhaps 10- 15 yes old, bear inn Ind recumbents of any sort are very niche markets.
By all means give the KMX a go, but you are unlikely to make your money back, you will have a better chance with a HPV Velotech or ICE Trice, the 2 main brands in this country.

There is a recumbent dealer in Cambridgeshire, D.TEK, but he is very difficult to get hold off, best attempt to telephone him, but if you are genuinely interested, there is no one better to deal with.
Kevin Dunsheath is his name , D.Tek recumbents at Little Thetford, he sometimes post on this fora as Mr Magoo.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
That trike was an entry level one mainly for teenagers, yes adults used them as well.
I have the KMX Cobra bought in 2014 at a cost of £1200 I think that one was selling around £800 with low spec gears and smaller front wheels, if it needs a lot of work £300 - £500 max would not pay any more

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thanks guys, that's really helpful. It does feel like it could be a change for quite a while for me (and if I like it, long term), and so I agree it's worth going for something that will feel great to ride.

I'll likely go with A and sell a bike to give me some cash for a better one. Thanks. :smile:

grldtnr

At least blag a ride of the KMX , at least you will know if it's for you, the spendier upmarket brands, will be way better.
I 'd be very surprised if you don't have any issues, the main one is recumbent legs, it's a different position, your muscles are used in a different way.
Handling wise you will break your face smiling, they are a real hoot, but you will have to learn to lean in turns,even the KMX should give you the experience .
Recumbent trikes come in 2 flavours Tadpole & Delta, no experience of Delta's, also there are the upwrong trikes the conventional 3 wheelers, notoriously difficult to ride, you have to relearn cycling.
Other dealers are in Edinburgh, London recumbents at Battersea and somewhere down in Devon,. Unfortunately there aren't many, but I you might find a LBS with one.
D.TEK RECUMBENT
Kevin Dunsheath
01353 648177
Little Thetford
Ely.
If you can chat with him, is the best way,mention this Fora, it may help you.

Meanwhile , welcome to the dark side 🌚👽👾

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
At least blag a ride of the KMX , at least you will know if it's for you, the spendier upmarket brands, will be way better.
I 'd be very surprised if you don't have any issues, the main one is recumbent legs, it's a different position, your muscles are used in a different way.
Handling wise you will break your face smiling, they are a real hoot, but you will have to learn to lean in turns,even the KMX should give you the experience .
Recumbent trikes come in 2 flavours Tadpole & Delta, no experience of Delta's, also there are the upwrong trikes the conventional 3 wheelers, notoriously difficult to ride, you have to relearn cycling.
Other dealers are in Edinburgh, London recumbents at Battersea and somewhere down in Devon,. Unfortunately there aren't many, but I you might find a LBS with one.
D.TEK RECUMBENT
Kevin Dunsheath
01353 648177
Little Thetford
Ely.
If you can chat with him, is the best way,mention this Fora, it may help you.

Meanwhile , welcome to the dark side 🌚👽👾

I had a brilliantly helpful conversation with Kevin, and will be popping over shortly to say hello. Thank you. :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

I bought one a few years ago 4-5 maybe, the year before Covid, I didn't like it at all, felt far to vulnerable on it, did think about putting aerials on with flashing lights etc. I only ever rode it around the estate I would never have gone down the A road which goes through the village. I soon sold it on, I think I paid £375 for it & then had to fetch it from somewhere South on Manchester, when I sold it I struggled to get £300 back for it.

20190329_153347.jpg

Just looked at that image & it's title is the date 2019-03-29

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I bought one a few years ago 4-5 maybe, the year before Covid, I didn't like it at all, felt far to vulnerable on it, did think about putting aerials on with flashing lights etc. I only ever rode it around the estate I would never have gone down the A road which goes through the village. I soon sold it on, I think I paid £375 for it & then had to fetch it from somewhere South on Manchester, when I sold it I struggled to get £300 back for it.

View attachment 696475

Just looked at that image & it's title is the date 2019-03-29

I thought the same as you when it arrived in my garage in kit form, but I carried on building it as I had just paid £1200 for it. When it was finished I took it for a ride around the garage block where I kept it, it felt great, I went back to my garage and put my helmet on and went for a quick ride around my village, after 10 minutes or so I realised cars were giving me a very wide berth so I ventured on to the main road were an 18 wheeler over took me, yes it was big along side me and the wheels were at head height, but I soon got use to it.
The following Saturday Saints football were playing at home do I set off and rode it through the centra of Southampton, it was packed, but I survived and it gave me the confidence that I needed.
Thousands of miles later I'm still smiling and I wish I had bought one earlier.
testwood lakes.jpg

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I thought the same as you when it arrived in my garage in kit form, but I carried on building it as I had just paid £1200 for it. When it was finished I took it for a ride around the garage block where I kept it, it felt great, I went back to my garage and put my helmet on and went for a quick ride around my village, after 10 minutes or so I realised cars were giving me a very wide berth so I ventured on to the main road were an 18 wheeler over took me, yes it was big along side me and the wheels were at head height, but I soon got use to it.
The following Saturday Saints football were playing at home do I set off and rode it through the centra of Southampton, it was packed, but I survived and it gave me the confidence that I needed.
Thousands of miles later I'm still smiling and I wish I had bought one earlier.
View attachment 696481

I have the same experience on my trikes

D

Deleted member 26715

Yep each to their own, once rode a 125cc Lambretta scooter, must have been late 70's rode it home for a guy who'd bought it off my dad, said then I'd never ride another & so far haven't but others love them.

grldtnr

I had a brilliantly helpful conversation with Kevin, and will be popping over shortly to say hello. Thank you. :smile:

He is a lovable eccentric is Kevin, willing to spend time with clients to 'find' the right machine for his customers.
He will have a selection of recumbents for you to try.
The bonus is ,apart from the busy A10 to cross, is he has the 'biggest test track in the country' , going out into the quiet Fenland roads, he will let you ride unaccompanied.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yep each to their own, once rode a 125cc Lambretta scooter, must have been late 70's rode it home for a guy who'd bought it off my dad, said then I'd never ride another & so far haven't but others love them.

We had a 150cc Lambretta which we rode from west of Glasgow to the Low Countries and northern France and Germany. The M1 was partly constructed but England was a massive bore to drive through on mainly non motorway. Sitting there at 50mph was not fun but the Continent was much better. This was 2 people and camping gear. I still have the Black's Good Companions tent.

Top Bottom