Secondhand bike for Zwift?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zeffer

Just been told today I can do some very low resistance turbo riding to help build my muscles up in the bad leg.

If I get a turbo I'll be looking to do Zwift in the future. I will hopefully change my mind but I am wary of any winter riding at the moment.

I don't really want to put the Cannondale on a trainer, but happy to be told otherwise. Can I use a second hand steel/aluminium framed bike or will I just get frustrated?

Also, can you recommend a turbo? Should I be going for the Wahoo at £950 or are there great alternatives? Have done quite a bit of googling but would love to hear views here.

Have all the Garmin sensors from the 520.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tommy2

Über Member
If you've got space to leave a bike on a turbo trainer all setup then go for a second hand steel/ali frame, otherwise your current bike will be fine.
You can use any of the basic turbo trainers that are listed on the Zwift site, but if you have the cash you can go for a smart trainer.
All depends how much you want to spend, I don't think the quality of a frame will make too much difference if it's sole purpose is to live on a turbo trainer.

screenman

Legendary Member
I run a n old 653 tubed steel bike on the turbo, must be 4 years or so since they were last parted. My turbo is the CS-1000, good enough for Sir Chris so certainly good enough for me, this one is now 20 years old and has been used.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your bike will be fine, just change the tyre for either a cheap one, or a turbo tyre.

I bought a Tacx Smart Trainer via Halfords 20% off at the May bank holiday, add in BC 10% it was about £146 rather than £199.

It works a treat, you don't need a mega expensive trainer. Zwift will also work with a standard trainer very well, but you'll be changing down to get the resistance.

It's been a life saver for me so far as I'm not supposed to be on the road yet. Fat tyre MTB only on tarmac away from cars if riding a real bike!

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a think. Fossyant, I think I'll be in a similar position to you for some time! Glad to hear it is so good for you.

One question, what exactly is a 'smart' trainer? Does it change the resistance automatically? You can tell I'm new to this!

Buck

Guru
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a think. Fossyant, I think I'll be in a similar position to you for some time! Glad to hear it is so good for you.

One question, what exactly is a 'smart' trainer? Does it change the resistance automatically? You can tell I'm new to this!

That's essentially it. I've got the Tacx Vortex smart trainer and when, for example, you start to go up an incline on Zwift it automatically increases the resistance so it is more realistic. You can then change gears to suit but you are working against a real resistance and it does give you a good workout

Within Zwift there are also a number of workouts you can do which are still on the courses I.e. Watopia or Richmond but the resistance is determined by the section of the workout not where you are on the course. The course/scenery in this case is more of a distraction to help the time pass by!

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Great advice, thanks everyone.

Is there a way of doing the very low resistance with Zwift itself then? If so would help my leg and I'd get to know the software before I can use it 'properly'.

Also, is downhill simulation worth the money? E.g. Tacx Ironman?

Top Bottom