Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I also got an email from McAfee informing me my PC security was about to expire, but I binned it because it doesn't expire until next February.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Depends on what system you're running but the general consensus seems to be
Don't touch:
A.V.G. (free or otherwise)
McAfee
Norton
MSE (M$'s own) is a good anti-virus for windows systems, seeing as M$ have a vested interest in fighting viruses. Having said that, I use ESET Nod32 AV and have done for years. I back that up with a twice weekly quick scan with Malwarebytes' which isn't an anti-virus software but anti-malware. Windows firewall does for me as well basically because I can't be arsed with the learning curves of other firewalls, but if I did, it would probably be the zone alarm firewall (free).
And finally a daily clean up with CCleaner for the cookies/history etc..
I've used this set up in my old XP and now Win7 with no issues i.e. They don't over step the mark by blocking anything they don't like, even the ones you know are OK and when un-install time comes they don't leave bits behind to interfere with future (competitor) AV software installs.

CorsairC

Über Member
Only one issue I've noticed is that some old machines are struggling with the latest updates of AV, firewall, anti-malware. The bloat is just too much in some cases. As I hardly every see malware or virus problems anyway, I'm just using a AV, CC Cleaner and the windows firewall.

Top Bottom