Seized SPD Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've got a pair of Shimano SPDs, I think they're the A520 platform type. They've been sitting in the spares box for about five years and were only used a few times. I put them on today and for the life of me I can't clip in. The back plate won't move, even using a pair of pliers to see if they would prize back.

Stored dry with no dirt or corrosion, any idea what the problem might be and how I'd go about it?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Give them a good, long soaking with wd40?

FrothNinja

Veteran
Give them a series of gentle taps with a soft hammer (eg a lump of wood) to dislodge any trapped material or oxidisation, then put a light oil on all the moving parts of the cleat and leave them overnight somewhere warm. Also check the fitting on your shoe is free of muck. Once the oil has had a chance to creep into the crevices try again with the shoe or something like a screwdiver with a broad blade. Unless something has gone ping in the mechanism, they will eventually yield to a combination of oil, heat, and manipulation.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had yours also been idle for a few years, @cyberknight ?

Soaked in oil overnight, hammered the crap out of one this am and it will barely move a mm or two. Maybe time for a new pair.

nope they had been in constant use but one tension spring was seized very loose , i have already replaced them now as they were pretty old but in the spares bin atm

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A trip to Halfords and 32 quid later now sees the bike shod with a pair of Boardman Spuds. Nice pedal at a decent price.

I've never come across a problem like that with padals before, the buggers seem to have frozen themselves solid. I'm not sure I'd trust them now even if I got them working, I don't fancy finding myself locked in when I pull up in front of the inevitable audience of school kids.

cyberknight

A trip to Halfords and 32 quid later now sees the bike shod with a pair of Boardman Spuds. Nice pedal at a decent price.

I've never come across a problem like that with padals before, the buggers seem to have frozen themselves solid. I'm not sure I'd trust them now even if I got them working, I don't fancy finding myself locked in when I pull up in front of the inevitable audience of school kids.

Got the same branded double sided spd , did you get the single sided ones ?rebranded Exustar afaik

cyberknight

1650820313304.png

1650820344098.png

Just saying :smile: i used mine on the turbo / commuter and seem to be good so far

Top Bottom