Self assessment tax forms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
So have I, which is why I pay an accountant to ensure I pay the right amount. He's tax deductible as well. :okay:

My tax affairs are so simple that I don't have to adopt the "Trump Defence".

Slick

Guru
"Getting something"? Can you elaborate?

Yeah, using an umbrella company to pay around 2k tak on 95k income. Worked a treat for a while.

Then there was the Tax Back UK debacle. Thousands of offshore oilers claimed for what they were told they were entitled to only for Hector to hit them 3 or 4 years down the line and he wanted everything, including what was paid to the agen and penalties.

That left more than a few struggling for a while.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yeah, using an umbrella company to pay around 2k tak on 95k income. Worked a treat for a while.

Then there was the Tax Back UK debacle. Thousands of offshore oilers claimed for what they were told they were entitled to only for Hector to hit them 3 or 4 years down the line and he wanted everything, including what was paid to the agen and penalties.

That left more than a few struggling for a while.

That's the price you pay if you try and get cute with HMRC.

Slick

Guru
That's the price you pay if you try and get cute with HMRC.

Kinda my point. :okay:

To be fair, both examples was bad advice and the first example still left those involved that I knew, quids in overall, but I don't think we've heard the end of that one and IR35 has still to bear its teeth.

icowden

Veteran
To be fair, once that is set up, its dead easy for future use.
Until you upgrade your phone. Microsoft authenticator has to be the most unfriendly authenticator to move from one device to another - you have to reauthenticate every account manually.

Google Authenticator just backs up and moves all your authentication over in one easy step.

Alex321

Veteran
Kinda my point. :okay:

To be fair, both examples was bad advice and the first example still left those involved that I knew, quids in overall, but I don't think we've heard the end of that one and IR35 has still to bear its teeth.

What do you mean "IR35 has yet to bare its teeth"?

It has been around for over 20 years, and has sunk its teeth into plenty. I know there have been changes since I worked as a freelance contractor, and I haven't entirely kept uop with them, but I'd hardly say it has yet to bare its teeth.

Incidentally, I got investigated by HMRC for IR35 (or the intermediaries legislation as they call it), and when after quite a few months, they decided that it did not apply to me, the letter telling me that gave me details to use if I "wanted to appeal the decision" :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member

It has been around for over 20 years, and has sunk its teeth into plenty. I know there have been changes since I worked as a freelance contractor, and I haven't entirely kept uop with them, but I'd hardly say it has yet to bare its teeth.

Incidentally, I got investigated by HMRC for IR35 (or the intermediaries legislation as they call it), and when after quite a few months, they decided that it did not apply to me, the letter telling me that gave me details to use if I "wanted to appeal the decision" :smile:

It only came to be clarified for private sector contractors in April 2021 It's now down to companies to do the paperwork and not contractors themselves.
Hence, I went onto FTC and now perm

Alex321

Veteran
It only came to be clarified for private sector contractors in April 2021 It's now down to companies to do the paperwork and not contractors themselves.
Hence, I went onto FTC and now perm

Ah. Hadn't seen those changes. Throwing responsibility onto the hiring organisation, is going to have a major impact :sad:

icowden

Veteran
Ah. Hadn't seen those changes. Throwing responsibility onto the hiring organisation, is going to have a major impact :sad:
I didn't help that even HMRC don't understand when something is, or isn't IR35. They released a tool to help that was completely useless (it more or less told every contractor that they were working under IR35).

Slick

Guru

As others have noted, there’s been some fairly recent developments with that and my belief is it would now be at a much more advanced stage if it wasn’t for the chaos that Covid brought.

Its interesting to note, as I alluded to earlier, HMRC will happily treat you as bonafide with the information you input to check your status, then rip the rug from under you at audit if their understanding differs from yours.

Some companies I’m involved with get it, but many are taking the short term view, which in my humble opinion, is dangerous.

Top Bottom