Self building a genuine hybrid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
This is a bit of an "is it possible" query.

My place of work is 200 m higher than where I live and the slopes are serious. There's no way I would have the time needed to commute it on my recumbent. A carbon racer would be the answer but I don't like racers because for my tastes they are not flexible enough. Hence this question: would it be possible to buy a carbon frame which could take disc brakes and be fitted with a Rohloff hub gear as well as mudguards and a rack? The resultant bike not being intended to be as heavy duty as a tourer but clearly not like a thoroughbred racer either. Essentially it would be a very fast, very light commuting bike.

Any thoughts as to feasibility and suitable models of frame?

RedBike

Plenty of carbon frames MTBs about.

I can't think of any road (or CX) carbon frames that take disc brakes though. - It's hard enough thinking of one that will take racks and mud-guards.

Perhaps an Al cyclo-x bike with disc brakes (wiggle do one).

RedBike

Yes,

Traditional cyclo-x frames don't even have bottle cage holes nevermind mud-guard / pannier mounts and disc brake mounts.

But recently loads of manufatures seem to be releasing cyclo-x bikes that have every braze-on possible.

Graham O

What a coincidence. I too am thinking of a self build hybrid very much along the same lines. The major difference is that my work is 250m lower than home, but it does mean that the sweaty ride is on the way home. :biggrin:

I've been looking at cycle cross frames from Surly and Planet X and Wiggle do a road fork with disc mounts. I'm still trying to work out where the compatibility problems lie. Still haven't decided on Rohloff or derailleur.

However I am really stuck as to using a cross frame with 700C wheels or use a MTB frame with 26" wheels. I don't need front suspension, but can I just fit a rigid fork in the front or does the bike need to be designed to take a rigid fork?

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'm afraid I can't offer any sensible answer to your forks question but I have got experience of Rohloffs, my recumbent and tourer each being fitted with them. IMO the Rohloff cannot be faulted and I reckon the only enhancement you could make would be to fit an extra chain ring at the front for really steep bits or one of those Schlumpf mountain drive things which is effectively a two speed bottom bracket.

Are any either of the cycle cross frames fitted with disc and mudguard mounts?

Graham O

Andy in Sig said:
Are any either of the cycle cross frames fitted with disc and mudguard mounts?

Ooops. I've been so busy looking at other features, that I've missed the disc mounts. Neither of these frames have disc mounts, so I was looking at canti's or V's. The Surly appears to be my ideal frame since it has all the braze ons I need plus mudguard holes, even it lacks disc mounts. But they are only wishful thinking. I'm sure V's would be more than adequate.

Top Bottom