Selling my mum's house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
All good thoughts and advice. I am going through something similar currently as my dad has gone into care and the house needs to be sold to pay as he is classed as “self funging”

That aside, our Estate Agent was able to market the property to their database and we have had 12 viewings in just two weeks and three offers.

As @Profpointy has said, £10,000 only generates £80 of commission (My EA fees are 0.8% + VAT) in my example so he/she is not going to push the price for a meagre few hundred at the risk of a slow sale.

I spoke at length to our Estate Agents re the development potential of the house (ability to extend combined with the location/views but needing a full refurb). The price it’s on at is based on all of this i.e. money that needs to be spent, and the potential of the house/plot.

Your Estate Agents need to do that too and hopefully you’ll get a true valuation based on its potential and if your mum’s neighbour can see this, your Estate Agents should too !

Before you sell the house if you haven't already done so take some advice.

Even though your Dad is self funding, the council should pick up the bill when his savings is about £23k. The care home fees are only paid out of the cash he has not the house. Because the council is paying it will be at their rate not the rate he is paying at the moment. You will have to pay the council back when he dies, with interest. Therefore you should end up with more of his Estate assuming he does not use up all of the value of the house.

My sister and I are currently in the same position with our Mam.

Top Bottom