'semi' beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Claudia

Hi all!

I recently bought a bike thinking I'd ride it to work on a daily basis - from Brixton to King's Cross initially. Thinking, that's right!! I used to cycle all the time since my early years but I surely cannot compare my small town to London. I rode the bike a few times around Brixton but never made it anywhere further than Stockwell because I was scared to death - specially riding behind or between buses. Drivers just don't seem to care much about cyclists. Same thing I've heard about taxi drivers!!

The route from Brixton to King's Cross seemed to be relatively easy, with all the bike lanes and was not TOO busy (compared with other spots) but I never got brave enough to make it.

Now I live in Turnpike Lane (Harringay Ladder) and am really considering taking the risk and finally ride my bike down to work.

Can anyone give me some advice on a quiet-ish route? Also, from Golders Green?

Thank you :smile:

Can't advise about routes, but dont ride between vehicles or on the inside of lorries/buses (shouldn't with cars either)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hi all!

I recently bought a bike thinking I'd ride it to work on a daily basis - from Brixton to King's Cross initially. Thinking, that's right!! I used to cycle all the time since my early years but I surely cannot compare my small town to London. I rode the bike a few times around Brixton but never made it anywhere further than Stockwell because I was scared to death - specially riding behind or between buses. Drivers just don't seem to care much about cyclists. Same thing I've heard about taxi drivers!!

The route from Brixton to King's Cross seemed to be relatively easy, with all the bike lanes and was not TOO busy (compared with other spots) but I never got brave enough to make it.

Now I live in Turnpike Lane (Harringay Ladder) and am really considering taking the risk and finally ride my bike down to work.

Can anyone give me some advice on a quiet-ish route? Also, from Golders Green?

Thank you :smile:
I don't know the routes but for unfamiliar parts of town http://www.cyclestreets.net/ can be very useful for giving a general idea of possible routes. Be warned though: their quietest routes, while scenic, may involve dismounting. Their moderate routes are generally fine, however.

procel

Well done for getting braver. Remember, riding with confidence is safer: take the lane, where you'll be seen.

Top Bottom