Sending large files on line

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Simple ftp isn't obsolete if you want a device to boot its operating system from the network.

Admittedly a niche application these days, but I've done it with linux as well as the
windows pre-installation environment.

Sorry, It's irrelevant to this thread.

I'd use any cloud service for sharing large files, most of us have access to one already via our phones.

Fair enough but indeed very niche and I'd stick by the description of obsolete for 99% of use cases and certainly anything over a public or even a large private network.
100% I would use a commodity cloud service. It can be quite fun to set up low level stuff for the sake of it but too much faffing for no reward and no small risk.

Thanks for the thoughts. After talking with Elder Son we've decided a stick is probably the best solution in the short to medium term...

I've hit another problem, with the stick this time.

One file won't transfer. the system claims it is "too large"

The file is 4.89GB and there's 23.2GB free on the drive.

Why would this be, and how can I make the file smaller if that's necessary?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Thanks.

Umm... how do I do that?

As follows, but beware, this will ERASE the entire USB stick!!!!!

Assuming Windows 11, in explorer, you simply right-click the drive letter for the usb stick and select format to produce the screen below. In earlier version there might have been a Tools menu that you had to look through, but you're looking for something like this:

1706386738639.png

The important bit is selecting NTFS from the File System drop-down menu, although I think exFAT would also work.
FAT16 and FAT32 would be no good.

Click start, and it'll reformat the USB stick in a manner that can contain larger files.
Think of the USB stick as a post room. When you format the usb stick, you are creating in trays. By choosing NTFS you have larger in trays!

As follows, but beware, this will ERASE the entire USB stick!!!!!

Assuming Windows 11, in explorer, you simply right-click the drive letter for the usb stick and select format to produce the screen below. In earlier version there might have been a Tools menu that you had to look through, but you're looking for something like this:

View attachment 719967
The important bit is selecting NTFS from the File System drop-down menu, although I think exFAT would also work.
FAT16 and FAT32 would be no good.

Click start, and it'll reformat the USB stick in a manner that can contain larger files.
Think of the USB stick as a post room. When you format the usb stick, you are creating in trays. By choosing NTFS you have larger in trays!

Many thanks. It was exFAT so I changed it to NTFS and it is now transferring the files. The explanation is very handy as well so I understood what I was doing, well, sort of; enough to press the right button. Hopefully.

I also made very sure to copy the files, not least so that if the package goes missing we only lose the stick, not the project...

Top Bottom