Serial number help required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
This is probably a much requsted thing so I hope that someone out there is not too bored with the subject and can shed some light.

I have a Raleigh Strada frame with the serial number WN 800 128. I have looked at the various sites pertaining to serial numbers and have managed to work out from this that it was made in the Worksop factory (W) but there are so many variations and interpretations that I have not been able to wok out what the rest of the numbers mean.
Thanks in advance to anyone out there with the patience to explain what the rest means.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
if i am right the 2nd letter is the month and the first digit is the year whilst all other digits are the number of the bike made in the year .

somebody else will come along and put us both right

have you looked at the sheldon brown website ?

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I did look at Sheldons page on the matter and as far as I could tell the first letter refers to where it was made. In this case I think "W" means the Worksop factory. Then it gets a bit hazy. From what I managed to gleen the second letter is a month reference but it goes in fortnightly increments so "N" would be the last fortnight in July. After that I'm all at sea with trying to decipher the rest. I'm fairly sure it was made in the 80s but just out of curiousity I'd love to pin it down to a particular year. Honestly why couldn't they have just chosen a system and stuck to it. Sheesh.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
ok so made in worksop in july in the eigth year of an unknown decade , so why not look at the hubs if original should be sets of 2 digits ie year and week

Top Bottom