Serial Numbers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Klaus

Sorry simple question I hope.
Do bikes come with a serial number, or any other unique factory marking.
Or does one have to mark it with your own ID (postcode, etc) -I think there are kits available to do this?

Common Rail

Easy answer:smile: There's usually a frame number, and in addition there are events like this where you can get your bike marked and registered.

bauldbairn

Like the others have said bikes are normally marked by the manufacturers.

You can use any of the other marking ideas suggested - or buy Teapes and stamp the frame with your personal details. It's a good idea to note(or photograph) where you've marked, for future reference. A set of Teapes(metal alphabet stamps) are expensive but completely reusable.

e-rider

crappy member
these numbers are not security numbers - they help the company identify the frame if there is a fault - date/year of manufacture, factory of origin and the person who made it.

a lot of modern frames (esp. expensive ones) have the frame number on a sticker which can easily be removed by a stealing scumbag.

it just happens that these numbers provide a way to identify a bike if police should recover it (which is very unlikely anyway) but it's not their main or intended purpose.

tofer

you can buy datatag which includes a transponder usually bonded inside the frame, Plod scans it should they recover the stolen bike and hey presto your details are shown as the rightful owner. Not sure if datatags work on steel frames but I believe carbon fibre's a safe bet

OP
OP
Klaus

Klaus

tofer said:
you can buy datatag which includes a transponder usually bonded inside the frame, Plod scans it should they recover the stolen bike and hey presto your details are shown as the rightful owner. Not sure if datatags work on steel frames but I believe carbon fibre's a safe bet

Probably an overkill for my bike - but today I was looking for numbers on the frame but can't find anything. OK I got it free, spent about £60 on bits and pieces. Will probably have it marked in some way.

Top Bottom