Serious question..looking for reassurance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
Missing a workout for just one day is a slippery slope. Before you know it you will weigh 30 stone and be unable to get on and off the toilet without a hoist.....just kidding. In fact, if you continue exercising you may make it worse. I have found that you can do other exercises that dont have much effect on the injured area...core, upper body , stretches are few examlpes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist I understand your concern but truly believe you are worrying about nothing. I survived a heart attack five years ago and a brain haemorrhage in January 2019 - the consultant told my wife after 10.5 hours surgery "let's see if he wakes up." I recovered from the haemorrhage in four months, the norm for a man of 65 is eighteen months. On both occasions I returned to full fitness very quickly and the medical staff were very clear it was my underlying fitness which saved my life. After the heart attack I didn't ride for five months, the haemorrhage three months. Today I am fitter than I have been in 30 years.

My point is this. You have kept yourself fit for 32 years and a few weeks or months of little or no exercise will not have a major impact. Yes you might put on weight, yes you might lose a bit of fitness but nothing life-threatening will happen to you. Your basic fitness will look after you now and through the rest of your life. We people who exercise are in the top 17% of the population, we are a way ahead of the rest. Don't worry.

I'd stop drinking the beer though as this will give you weight gain very quickly!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist I understand your concern but truly believe you are worrying about nothing. I survived a heart attack five years ago and a brain haemorrhage in January 2019 - the consultant told my wife after 10.5 hours surgery "let's see if he wakes up." I recovered from the haemorrhage in four months, the norm for a man of 65 is eighteen months. On both occasions I returned to full fitness very quickly and the medical staff were very clear it was my underlying fitness which saved my life. After the heart attack I didn't ride for five months, the haemorrhage three months. Today I am fitter than I have been in 30 years.

My point is this. You have kept yourself fit for 32 years and a few weeks or months of little or no exercise will not have a major impact. Yes you might put on weight, yes you might lose a bit of fitness but nothing life-threatening will happen to you. Your basic fitness will look after you now and through the rest of your life. We people who exercise are in the top 17% of the population, we are a way ahead of the rest. Don't worry.

I'd stop drinking the beer though as this will give you weight gain very quickly!
Thanks for the reply. That's the kind of reassurance i was seeking. I'm going to lay off the hard walks for a while and do what i do on my days off from hard walks which is go for moderate/easy walks. By that i mean walking a couple of miles at most,taking in a few moderate short hills and stopping every now and then. As we know exercise can become obsessive to us,whether that's because we enjoy it or feel that we have to do it 'or else' (like me), As for the beer i'm not making excuses for too much beer,but i think that if i didn't get the beer carbs i'd be even slimmer than i am now and that's not what i want.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I was a 27 stone fat barsteward up until last year and I didnt get that way by walking a lot. At my latest check up I am in good health on the inside but am still classed as obese. We're all different and perfectly healthy people have suffered heart attacks and dropped dead where they fell. There are no guarantees but its overwhelmingly more likely if your of normal weight and you've kept yourself reasonable active and you eat sensibly you'll be alreet...

To kick the beer you need to replace it with something. Some time ago my wife insisted on buying this superdooper blender and I thought it was a waste of money but it’s fantastic and we use it to blender fruit and ice into a drink every evening. After drinking it I don’t want beer. Fruit is not so cheap there I know but you should try it. You can use a regular blender to try it. Mango and pineapple is good but you can mix just about anything.
Sounds good. I too am cutting down on the beer, not that i drink all that much. But doesn't all that fruit of an evening give you a late sugar rush?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds good. I too am cutting down on the beer, not that i drink all that much. But doesn't all that fruit of an evening give you a late sugar rush?
It’s tue, I’ve been thinking about that. Moving it to the morning should be better and replace the fruit with a blend of vegetables with some apple added to make it more palatable.

Going back to Accy he really needs to think of his liver with all that beer. If he’s worried about losing weight a proper diet should take care of that.

Top Bottom