Servicing new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil newman

Hi all,recently purchased new Marin hybrid,registered with their uk website,received token for 1st service,free :smile:,take bike back to dealer after 1 month.,What is carried out on a (service),and do you have get to bike serviced on a regular basis?.How much labour charge at lbc"s,hope to do most jobs myself,if it aint too technical,been studying CC threads and you tube.Also the rims on bike have a groove on them,please enlighten me (rain water grooves ??).thanx

All they will do is check the cables for stretch and adjust if required, check all the nuts and bolts are tight, check anything that rotates doesn't have any play and probably check the tyre pressure. Nothing anyone who does the most basic maintenance doesn't do every week anyway.

If the shop is convenient, and you don't mind taking it in then go for it, if it inconveniences in you in the slightest way, and you are confident in the most basic stuff anyway then just I wouldn't bother TBH.

Regular maintenance is essental to minimise the risk of faliures.

LBS charges will differ greatly from shop to shop, and town to town. It is worth developing a relationship with one though as it can save you a lot of grief if you find yourself in a pickle.

The grooves are to help keep your pads cool under braking and also for water displacement.

:welcome:to CC by the way :thumbsup:

trampyjoe

When I took my hybrid back for its 'service' the lbs didn't seem to do much. I think they just checked the cables and all the nuts and bolts. Pretty much what I could've done (and what I do on a weekly basis now) but I let them do it as it was also free.
Mind you, I did have to set my bike up myself, they didn't appear to have a clue on how high the saddle should be!

Top Bottom