Setback seatposts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissyR

I have a 20mm setback in my seatpost. what are the benefits of this over an in-line one or one that 15mm say? These menial things keep me awake at night.

Neiltluck

Regular
I would say it is to do with bike fit. A 25mm set back will ultimately offer a longer reach to the bars than a 15mm set back or inline post.

A set back post theoretically will offer more compliance than an inline one as well, so should offer a marginally more comfortable ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed, are you in the right position relative to the bars? I've put a layback post on one bike as the seat was right back on the rails and I still felt I was pushing myself back further

Have you had a proper fit on the bike?

OP
OP
MissyR

MissyR

I have had a proper bike fit done and they were swithering as to an 80mm or 90mm stem. We ended up going for the 90mm but I'm starting to feel the pinch a little and wondered if changing my seatpost to an inline one would bring me in closer without compromising the handling at the front?

I would leave the seat alone and just get a shorter stem or more compact bars, as you will end up moving the position of your legs, which I assume the cycle fit would have set up correctly.

The setback just to get your leg in the right place to cycle and for most people KOPs is a good starting point but not the definitive place. Just as a reference I run 1cm ahead of KOPS.

OP
OP
MissyR

MissyR

Not entirely sure its in the correct place anyway. I came off my bike a few weeks back and it took a fair whack on the seatpost/saddle so its knocked everything off. I might need to go and get it redone.

e-rider

crappy member
I have a 20mm setback in my seatpost. what are the benefits of this over an in-line one or one that 15mm say? These menial things keep me awake at night.
inline seatposts were originally for downhill MTBs as they offered more strength and suited the riding style of this discipline and frame geometry of full sus bikes. However, people quickly decided that they provided a good position for normal use on both MTBs and Road bikes - however in reality, unless you have very short femur bones or are looking for an aggressive position on a race bike, a setback post is usually better for a correct balanced riding position.

e-rider

crappy member
I have had a proper bike fit done and they were swithering as to an 80mm or 90mm stem. We ended up going for the 90mm but I'm starting to feel the pinch a little and wondered if changing my seatpost to an inline one would bring me in closer without compromising the handling at the front?
no, don't do that - your butt has to be in the correct position - NEVER change the position of your backside in an attempt to change the reach!!! NO NO NO
Get a shorter stem if needed - you could buy a really cheap one (£10) until you know what size is best and then buy a more expensive one (but make sure it's exactly the same size reach/angle).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the post is correct change stem.

Setback is all to do with thigh length and achieving the plumb line from kneecap through the middle of the pedal axel. I have a standard setback seatpost on all my bikes but the saddles are also at their furthest. And I'm average height.

Check the plumb line fronm knee first.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- also not all saddle rails are in the same position relative to the overall saddle length, or the same length - result is some saddles can be set further back than others.

Top Bottom