Setting up only front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swapnali

Hello,

Currently I have a fixie or fixed geared bike... I want to install only front derailleur on it ( an additional small sprocket). Rear wheel setup will be fix only.
Will shifting works well without Any rear derailleur???

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm afraid what you propose won't work.

You can't add an extra chain ring on a fixed gear bike.

1. The mech won't shift the chain off the chainring as there is no flex in the gear system (i.e. rear mech will allow slack on a geared bike).
2. If it did, then you'd drop the chain as it would be too loose.
3. You risk a trip to A&E even trying it.

OP
OP
S

Swapnali

Here is the (top view) pic of my single speed. I just want front derailleur to be fit on this so that it can be easy on inclines.

Attachments

• IMG_20170514_232100.jpg
    IMG_20170514_232100.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 220

Sharky

Guru
I ran a fixed with a double chain ring. But there is no way you can change gear on the move.

I had 42/52 on the front, coupled with a double fixed rear hub. Cant remember the exact sprocket size, but probably a 14 on one side and an 18 on the other. This meant I could ride out to an event on the 42/18, then flip the wheel and ride 52/14 for the time trial.
As long as you have horizontal drop outs, you can slide the rear wheel to take up any slack in the chain.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

I ran a fixed with a double chain ring. But there is no way you can change gear on the move.

I had 42/52 on the front, coupled with a double fixed rear hub. Cant remember the exact sprocket size, but probably a 14 on one side and an 18 on the other. This meant I could ride out to an event on the 42/18, then flip the wheel and ride 52/14 for the time trial.
As long as you have horizontal drop outs, you can slide the rear wheel to take up any slack in the chain.
@User has similar on one of his bikes, although both the sprockets are on the same side of the rear wheel. The difference in teeth between chain ring one and chain ring two is the same as the difference between sprocket one and sprocket two but in the "other direction IYSWIM" so the chain length remains the same. Changing gear is achieved, I think, by stopping, fiddling and restarting. Another option for the OP is a Sturmey Archer fixed two or three speed hub but that would entail a wheel rebuild.

midlife

Guru

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It isn't fixed though, so it is OK to have the chain slack enough to do the shift.

Appears to be a singlespeed freewheel, but if he attempts this, it will end in tears. You do need good tension, and trying a silly mod like that will end in a trip to A&E or the emergency Dentist.

Tim Hall

Appears to be a singlespeed freewheel, but if he attempts this, it will end in tears. You do need good tension, and trying a silly mod like that will end in a trip to A&E or the emergency Dentist.
The OP says he has a fixer. Can you tell from the photo that it is in fact a single speed? Adrian has a single speed on which he has two sprockets and two chain rings. AFAIK he hasn't needed a trip to A&E or an emergency dentist.

boydj

Legendary Member
The OP says he has a fixer. Can you tell from the photo that it is in fact a single speed? Adrian has a single speed on which he has two sprockets and two chain rings. AFAIK he hasn't needed a trip to A&E or an emergency dentist.

No way of changing gear on the move, though.

Top Bottom