Several Spooky Synchronicities!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
cisamcgu said:
I think it much more likely (since pressing the mute button does NOT cause a silent recording) that dropping the second remote control simply turned off the mute that the suduko book had turned on. Your TV was muted, not the recording (which will merrily record what ever you tell it, even if the mute button is pressed, in fact even if the TV is switched off at the time!)

So, not a spooky co-incidence, just a unlucky press of a mute button.

Andrew
You would think so wouldn't you, and at first so did I! However, what I described was exactly what happened.

The satellite system is an old analogue one and I pick up International (free!) Eurosport with it. I had never noticed before that there was a mute button on the satellite remote control but there is - I discovered it when I was trying to work out why there was no sound on the recording. I paused the playback and switched the TV over to view the satellite output (that wasn't yet showing the cycling highlights). Sure enough, the satellite sound was muted and there was a mute symbol on the picture. I switched to live TV - there was sound and no mute symbol. I switched back to the satellite output and pressed the mute button on the satellite remote and the sound came back on, and the mute symbol disappeared. I can't think why they thought such a feature was needed - it seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Anyway, so now there was sound from the satellite ouput, but it was too late to get it on my recording. I went back to silent viewing (as described). While I was doing that, the cycling highlights programme must have started so when I had the second remote control fumble, I was able to drop into that now complete with sound. I can assure you that the mute symbol was on the recording - I freeze-framed it and there it was, but it wasn't there when I stopped the playback.

Which is just my long-winded way of saying - sorry, you are mistaken and it was a spooky synchronicity :blush:!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
NickM said:
I paused after this chapter, and turned the book over to have a think. On the back of the dustjacket was a photograph of the author.

At that exact moment, a woman asked "Do you mind if we sit here?". I looked up, and replied "Not at all - be my guest" and her husband looked exactly like the man on the back of the book.

That's pretty spooky!

When I was younger, I went into a department store with my girlfriend. She was doing the old "Do you like this? (Yes). This? (Yes) What about this? (Yes). Oh I really like this one, how about you? (NO - that doesn't suit you!) Oh I think I'll buy the one that you don't like..." thing :blush:. So, there I was standing about waiting for her to pay for her new outfit and my eyes started to wander. I spotted my reflection in a mirror on a pillar and thought to myself that I was looking pretty rough. Suddenly, to my shock, I apparently turned around and walked away and I was now looking at the back of myself :ohmy:! I looked behind me and saw another guy the same size as me, same clothes (jeans, denim jacket) walking across the store. He looked like the identical twin brother I'd never had. I almost felt like phoning my mother up to check that we hadn't been separated at birth...

NickM

Veteran
ColinJ said:
That's pretty spooky!
It did occur to me that I might be a character in another of his books... in which case there were several plot lines about which he was going to get a severe ear bashing!

Even if he was dead :blush:

Top Bottom