Sheared freehub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frew

The past couple of days I have had some intermittent bad creaks from my bike while pedalling up hill. after some examination I found that there was some lateral movement on the back wheel.

Being a beginner at bike mechanics, I watched a couple of youtube videos and began taking apart my cassette and freehub to clean and degrease.

When I came to removing the freehub I came to this.

My questions are, How do I procede in removing the remains without damaging anything further and how do I know what freehub to order?

I can see MF staped on the freehub and it is from a 9 speed Giant S-R2 wheel.

I don't see a shear anywhere. What is the actual problem?

OP
OP
Frew

Frew

Thanks for you replies.

Sorry, I didn't show the problem very well.

The following two images show the small curved piece next to the bottom two bearings that has come away from the inside of the freehub.

I was also confused that I didn't have to use a 10mm hex to remove the freehub once I removed the axle. It just came apart.

OP
OP
Frew

Frew

Hi Ajax Bay,
Yeah, I have tried a 10mm hex ,but it isn't big enough from either side. It looks like I might have to get hold of a 11mm as I was borrowed a 12mm sump tool and it was too big.

OP
OP
Frew

Frew

Sorry Steve, Yeah it is a freehub which I previously removed the 9 speed cassette from.

OP
OP
Frew

Frew

Well! Took it to a nearby bike shop today and settled on purchasing a new wheel. Might have paid a bit over the odds, but at least I can get back on the road.

Top Bottom