Shed find bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilf76

These are the two bikes which I found in a neighbour's shed. I think they date from the early '90s, but if anyone knows for sure I'd be very interested to know
Shimano1.jpg
Panther1.jpg
ShimanoBars.jpg
PantherBars.jpg
Shimano2.jpg

They are both basically sound, the worst part of each being the handlebars and tubes, these will both need stripping and respraying. The rest seems to be basically cleaning, since the shed they were stored in has broken windows which allows birds to enter, a lot of the dirt is Guano (To put it politely!)
Having been standing for a long time on flat tyres the tyres have split walls in several places, so new sets will be needed, I'm also going to change the handlebars since I don't intend any cross-country on them!
There are a few rust patches on the frames which I will need to address at some point, the main problem with the Shimano will be matching the paint colour since I certainly don't intend a full respray.

Drago

Legendary Member
My father in law has an identical ProBike. Late 80s, gas pipe, dreadful ride but If it tugs your rug then go for . Real live BSO. The crankset isn't original.

The other one is slightly better, probably early 00s.

TBH I wouldn't spend any money on them until you've cleaned and lubed everything to see what works and what doesn't.

If everything works than keep any spend to an absolute minimum.

Even new tyres, tubes and cables would be more than the bikes are worth, bought new today both bikes would be classed as BSO's I'm sorry to say.

That said, if you can make a runner out of either of them than it would be a fine pub bike/afternoon with the kids type bike.

Or just use them to increase your knowledge of fettling by stripping and re-building them :thumbsup:

Your definition of basically sound is very different to mine. I see two bikes ready for the dump. For the time, effort and expense to get them rideable again you could buy a new bike. The bottom bracket on the Silver Fox looks very dodgy from the position on the offside crank arm.

OP
OP
Wilf76

Wilf76

Your definition of basically sound is very different to mine. I see two bikes ready for the dump. For the time, effort and expense to get them rideable again you could buy a new bike. The bottom bracket on the Silver Fox looks very dodgy from the position on the offside crank arm.

By "Sound" I mean everything seems to be there! I know these bikes aren't worth anything money-wise, but that's not my object, they will give me a chance to re-learn things which I haven't done in 60-odd years, both in getting them roadworthy and riding them, they cost me nothing and I don't intend to spend more than a bare minimum on them.
Yes, the lefthand pedal crank on the Silver Fox is loose, hence the strange angle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I agree with all that has been said. For the money you would need to spend you could buy a very tidy secondhand of the Bay or wherever.
The thing that will determine if they are worth salvaging is if you can move the seat posts in the frame. If you can't and they well rusted in they are dump fodder I'm afraid.

IncoherentJeff

These are the two bikes which I found in a neighbour's shed.

Did you have permission to rummage in the neighbours shed? :laugh: Someone would find all sorts in mine, haha.
Guano?! Hope you've got a pressure washer!
Are you making them both road worthy or making the best possible one out of parts from both?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds like fun pulling em apart, cleaning them and a low cost rebuild, better than sitting in front of the telly/down the pub. Good luck, just don't spend that much as they were only cheapo bikes new but 35-40 quid should see one of em rideable.

Bobtoo

Über Member
I think you could get both of them half decent for virtually no money, just elbow grease and actual grease. I probably wouldn't even replace the tyres, but then I'm notoriously tight. If you do replace the tyres and you're not planning on going through much mud I would advise you to buy slightly narrower tyres with a smoother tread. Knobblies howl on tarmac and waste energy.The bar extensions can be removed, so you probably don't have to change the handlebars.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Those old Shimano shifters could be pretty dodgy, but, as you'll note, the Probike has a decent chainring, because it is bolted together (separate spider and chainrings, so you can raise or lower your gearing) . Those chainrings that are riveted together are often lower in quality. Sometimes, they weigh like 5 pounds, too. I see those on very low quality bikes here sometimes, and I think they are made of pig iron.

Top Bottom