Shed Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
OK I know the horse has bolted... but after our bikes were recently nicked I need to look at increasing security on the shed.

An alarm system and CCTV cameras are on the way, and I'll be installing new ground anchors and chains/locks, for each individual bike (rather than a single long chain for all of them).

My main concern is stopping anyone getting in again....
It's a sectional concrete building with (at the moment) a fairly thin steel door that was opened with a pry-bar (breaking the lower hinge and bending the door). The insurance company will only replace on a like for like basis, and money isn't unlimited.
I'm considering fitting an external steel security gate. Is this reasonable? and does anyone have any tips on how best to mount?

I'd guess it would be coach bolt through the wall, and through a wooden batton on the inside, but I've heard various warnings about drilling sectional concrete buildings.....

Alternatively I've been quoted £600 to replace the whole thing with a UPVC style door with multi point locks.... really could do with a cheaper solution though.

classic33

Leg End Member
Side door on it already?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
UVPC doors can be broken in with one good kick!

So fit a decent quality (NOT foam-filled!) composite door.

And you need to fit a good quality secure euro cyclinder lock to guard against lock snapping/bumping/picking, not the usual cheapo insecure ones ... ESPECIALLY PROBLEMATIC IN WEST YORKSHIRE!

THIS KIND of lock.

classic33

Leg End Member
Wire it to the mains.

I've used an electric fence box wired up to the handle. Nuck about with the handle too long and you'll turn the box on. Quickest response to date, for a shed being broken into when I said "he'll not be going anywhere, take your time".

Levo-Lon

Guru
Cheers for that link for new euro locks @ColinJ

ill get 2 of those this week from the lock shop..house security.
i have alarms and various devices but locks are easy as a rule due to brass

Krank mine

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4009264, member: 76"]http://www.williampowell.com/Shooting--Dogs/Game-Bags--Accessories/Poacher-Alarm_MA101.htm

A chap sent in an article to Performance Bikes about how his garage was getting almost broken into often. He got one of these, and fixed it up to a bag of diarrhoea his girlfriend got from the ward she worked on. He covered the whole place in polythene, set the trap, and left the door slightly open. Bang....scream.....two blokes literally covered in sh1t. No more attempted break-ins![/QUOTE]
Biologiocal warfare!

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2964

just throwing it out as an option @vickster is very please with her Asgard, bike-specific shed. Of course, it hasn't had the ultimate test yet. Hopefully it never does.

(I know a new shed is probably outside your plans, but I wanted to suggest it in case it hasn't occurred to you. Vickster is away at the moment, but a quick search here will find her opinion on them)

vickster

Legendary Member
Asgard very good, excellent service but not cheap. I get 4 adult road bikes (one with flat bars) in my 4 bike 29er option. Needs to be installed on a solid flat hard base. Well worth the cost as I don't have a garage. It was delivered and efficiently installed for a bit extra

Top Bottom