Shimano Crankset recall: bonded Hollowtech ones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That, from a safety point of view is the way best way forward. Don't think the accountants at Shimano will see it that way though!

They might if someone is killed or seriously injured due to a failure and the legal eagles start circling.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
They might if someone is killed or seriously injured due to a failure and the legal eagles start circling.

It's an interesting one; as I understand it the recall contract essentially states that if the crank is inspected and found to be failing it will be replaced.. while if it's found to be "OK" that absolves Shimano of any future responsibility to replace it should it fail in future.

Makes me wonder how this stands relative to consumer rights re. goods being fit for purpose if a crank that passes inspection subsequently fails and converts the rider into a vegetable.

I used to hold Shimano in really high regard, however this has really knocked them down in my estimation (for what that's worth), along with their unerring subservience to modern manufactured fashion at the cost of reliable, accessible, old-school tech.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's an interesting one; as I understand it the recall contract essentially states that if the crank is inspected and found to be failing it will be replaced.. while if it's found to be "OK" that absolves Shimano of any future responsibility to replace it should it fail in future.

Makes me wonder how this stands relative to consumer rights re. goods being fit for purpose if a crank that passes inspection subsequently fails and converts the rider into a vegetable.

I used to hold Shimano in really high regard, however this has really knocked them down in my estimation (for what that's worth), along with their unerring subservience to modern manufactured fashion at the cost of reliable, accessible, old-school tech.

All went downhill after 7400 Dura Ace.

Top Bottom