Shimano Groupsets V Campag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Looking at a bike at the mo that has Ultegra SL groupset. What I do not like about Shim ( I`m sure that in use there is little between them and Campag ) is the exposed Shifter cables. Shimano obviously realise that a lot of people have the same gripe which is why the new Dura has handlebar concealed cables. Question is this, can Dura Ace owners install the new shifters AND are Shim. likely to market a new improved Ultegra with hidden cabling. In other words if I thought I could, in the not too distant future, upgrade the shifters only this would be a strong influence on purchasing decision.
Ta very much for all replies.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The latest Dura Ace with concealed cables is not compatable with existing mechs. It is highly likely that the concealed cables will filter down the goupset range using the same cable pull ratio as the latest DA.

Existing Shimano shifters and mechs will gradually become obsolete, which I would put as a good reason for thinking twice about a bike with the exposed cabled Shimano at the moment.

Dave5N

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
The latest Dura Ace with concealed cables is not compatable with existing mechs. It is highly likely that the concealed cables will filter down the goupset range using the same cable pull ratio as the latest DA.

Existing Shimano shifters and mechs will gradually become obsolete, which I would put as a good reason for thinking twice about a bike with the exposed cabled Shimano at the moment.

What's your general opinion of Shimano, Joe?

Chris James

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:

Whilst this may well be true, you could equally say that 11 speed will filter down Campags groupsets, making you think twice about buying anything other than Record.

And by the time you do decide to buy there will be another innovation that is incompatible with other ranges to complicate matters further.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Chris James said:
Whilst this may well be true, you could equally say that 11 speed will filter down Campags groupsets, making you think twice about buying anything other than Record.

And by the time you do decide to buy there will be another innovation that is incompatible with other ranges to complicate matters further.
Quiet true, I can see 11 speed being the norm for Campag from next year, there will only be Centaur and Veloce for it to trickle down to.

Leadlegs

This reminds me of the ongoing "What digital camera should I buy?" debate.

Where products are always being developed and new models being introduced onto the market waiting for the next upgrade becomes futile. At some point you are going to have to jump onto the merry-go-round. No matter what you buy it will soon become the old model.

Go for what's available, worry about upgrading when it becomes necessary.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Although if you do decide to go Campag, remember to allow enough time to get the chip installed on your shoulder too...;)

asterix

Comrade Member
In October I ordered a new bike for use in the UK (both my bikes are in France) and I asked if I could have Campag rather than the off-the-shelf Shimano.

'No', I was told; they said they only use Shimano because the profit margin with Campag is too small. Not having a chip on my shoulder, I have gone along with the Shimano option altho' it seems a shame not to get a choice.

My other 2 bikes are Shimano and Campag and I prefer the latter because it has proved far more durable. Both perform satisfactorily otherwise.

The new bike will have a handbuilt 631 frame and that will be about the only British made component unless I swap the saddle for a Brooks (likely).

GrahamG

Guru
Why not a mixture of the two?! Mix'n'match the best bits from each is what I did:
Chorus ergo's, chorus triple chainset & BB, Centaur front mech, shimano ultegra hubs, 105 cassette, 105 rear mech, Ultegra deep drop calipers and a JTEK shiftmate. All came to about halfway between a 105 and Ultegra gruppo price-wise so I'm very happy.

asterix

Comrade Member
That'd be fine by me.

I see from the latest 'Cycle' mag that Chas Roberts offers a mixed set up described as Campag levers and Shimano transmission. Much prefer the ergo levers to sti while shimano dual pivot brakes are acknowledged to be excellent (as I have found).

Top Bottom