Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, fit and forget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's an oft asked question, which disc brakes should I fit. Last spring I fitted some Shimano XT disc brakes after about 18 months of continual faffing with the OEM Tektro carp. I then did a little fine tuning over the next ride or two and then........ well, forgot about them. Fast forward over 12 months and I have just had to replace the pads because the return spring was rubbing the disc and annoying me with the sound it was making.
003800x600_zps6f854ad0.jpg

Maybe I will change them as soon as the scraping sound starts next time. New pads slotted straight in with only a tiny tweak to the rear caliper alignment then hopefully that's that for another 12 months.

As I and many other on this forum state, fit Shimano and forget.....

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
My front hope C2 was last bled in.......1997.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
FWIW that last two times I was in my LBS one of the mechanics was struggling to bleed the brakes on different mountain bikes. Looks like a pig of a job even with the right gear.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've got Deore hydros on my bike and like Skol, these are also fit and forget. Though the Deore mechanical on another bike need occasional getting

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When I got my Marin, fitted with Hope C2, a few months ago, it had virtually no braking at all. It had brand new pads, but they'd not ben fettled. I bled them (Dot 5.1) and they've not been a problem since. Very easy job to do.

Top Bottom