Shimano new chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
The chain on my tourer reached 100% wear at the weekend - I put a new one on today and have a couple of questions...

The new (HG40) chain came with a detachable type link. I couldn't work out how to fit it and the paperwork with the chain didn't say anything about it. It is designed to go between 2 inner type links. One side of the thing has 2 pins sticking out - no problem there - the other is full outer link length with a slotted bit in the middle - one end widened to fit over the pins, the slot goes in a groove in the pin.

Getting the link part over the first pin is no problem. That then ends up with the widened bit of the slot not quite lining up with the other pin.

How are you supposed to get the thing together from there? I tried with pliers and other tools but couldn't see how to do it.

Not for long though - back to basics and used the chain tool to put things together with a pin as I've always done.

Next question. What is the revolting thick slimy stuff with the viscosity of black treacle that all manufacturers put on new chains? They'd be much nicer to handle without it.

e-rider

crappy member
If you joined it with a normal link pin your chain WILL break 100% for certain! The pins in modern Shimano chains are designed NOT to be removed and pushed back in.

The chain lube you are describing is the finest stuff available!

You're not doing well today: Shimano 2 - Davidc 0

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
They've never broken yet in 8,000 miles and this the 4th I've put on by pushing in a rivet. I'll post it on here if it ever does, but don't hold your breath.

The chains for 9 and 10 speed need special pins (they supply one per chain) with bits that need to be snapped off after insertion, but the 8 speed cheap ones like the HG40 don't use them.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The chain on my tourer reached 100% wear at the weekend - I put a new one on today and have a couple of questions...

The new (HG40) chain came with a detachable type link. I couldn't work out how to fit it and the paperwork with the chain didn't say anything about it. It is designed to go between 2 inner type links. One side of the thing has 2 pins sticking out - no problem there - the other is full outer link length with a slotted bit in the middle - one end widened to fit over the pins, the slot goes in a groove in the pin.

Getting the link part over the first pin is no problem. That then ends up with the widened bit of the slot not quite lining up with the other pin.

How are you supposed to get the thing together from there? I tried with pliers and other tools but couldn't see how to do it.

Not for long though - back to basics and used the chain tool to put things together with a pin as I've always done.

Next question. What is the revolting thick slimy stuff with the viscosity of black treacle that all manufacturers put on new chains? They'd be much nicer to handle without it.

I had the same problem recently and spoke to LBS guy he said make sure its lined up properly position it between the front and rear sprockets at the top hold the brakes and stand on the pedal.It soon clicks into place.For removal i ground down the end of a pair of long nose pliers and bent the noses in towards each other so they can grip the link .
You can buy a removal tool that is pretty much the same thing.

Re the sticky lube grease, it may be good stuff but is a real crud magnet.Against advice I wiped it off and used White lightning cleanride.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
I had the same problem recently and spoke to LBS guy he said make sure its lined up properly position it between the front and rear sprockets at the top hold the brakes and stand on the pedal.It soon clicks into place.For removal i ground down the end of a pair of long nose pliers and bent the noses in towards each other so they can grip the link .
You can buy a removal tool that is pretty much the same thing.

I couldn't quite get the second pin into the enlarged bit of the slot, how did you manage that? I had about 0.5mm to go before it would have popped in.

Not too worried about removal. Plenty of options.

The SRAM Power Links seem a much better design than the Shimano thing.

Top Bottom