Shimano R600 Brake Levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GGJ

Veteran
These levers are fitted to various single speed bikes and they can cause an annoying buzzing/rattling noise when cycling along and mine were no different, reading through the forum I notice a few complaining about them, so here is the solution...

I decided to investigate further as the constant rattle/buzzing from them was starting to annoy me so much so that I had thought of changing them over for something out of my parts bin.

If you pull the lever and look inside you will see a small U shaped piece of plastic. From what I've read (and I don't know if there is any truth in this) but the only reason for this U shaped piece of plastic is to aid the robotic assembly of the levers. However my take on it is that it's there to ensure when you are tightening up the levers to the bars you don't inadvertently dislodge the return spring and also to aid with placing the Allen key in the correct location as this small piece seems to be an assembly guide.

I decided to remove the U shaped plastic part using some long nose pliers and took the bike out for a spin, the brakes work fine and the best part is the levers are completely silent, so the parts are now permanently removed and destined for the parts bin forever.

I've been riding with these parts removed for 6 months now and everything works perfectly...Job jobbed

R60020Levers.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Ahh that's what that bloody noise is! It's been driving me scatty ever since I built my bike. I keep checking all the bolts and headset for adjustment and tightness, with no joy.

I'm going to have a look at this later thanks a lot!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the same on the R400. I took the simpler aproach and pushed some grease down around the insert. Been fine for the last 5 years - no rattle since.

Top Bottom