Shimano SM-BB52

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Noticed over the past few rides I'm getting some noise/feeling from the bottom bracket, holding the crank I can see movement in it, so figured I'd order a new one, only to find there are 2 different lengths, 68-73mm or 83mm. Where do I measure & can this be dome without removal so I can continue to ride, it's done about 5K miles, does that seem reasonable?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I do believe the measurement is the width of the Bottom bracket shell.
You should be able to measure it reasonably accurately with it in situ.

Chislenko

Veteran
Noticed over the past few rides I'm getting some noise/feeling from the bottom bracket, holding the crank I can see movement in it, so figured I'd order a new one, only to find there are 2 different lengths, 68-73mm or 83mm. Where do I measure & can this be dome without removal so I can continue to ride, it's done about 5K miles, does that seem reasonable?

Pair of calipers on the shell will give you the measurement. (Measuring calipers obviously not brake calipers)

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
(Edit delete) Longevity of BB depends on type and quality: for some, you'd be pleased with 5000 miles; others, less so.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1) it could be that the crank is just loose.

2) 5000 miles isnt a vast amount for a BB

3)
83mm is very unusual.
73mm usual MTB
68mm usual road.
the standard SmBB52 has a 5mm spacer to so it fits both

4)
I would hazard a guess that 'most' drivers are clueless about the operation of a car, they have been far too sanitised these days, as part of the driving test the applicant should have be taken to some random car in the car park, supplied by the test station (changed on a regular basis), they should then have to change a wheel or at least check the tyre pressure on each wheel (& adjust if appropriate), check the oil level, confirm the cooling system water level is at the appropriate level, fill up the windscreen fluid level. Only after they have done this should the practical take place.
what is it "let him that is perfect cast the first stone??":whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

1) it could be that the crank is just loose.

2) 5000 miles isnt a vast amount for a BB

3)
83mm is very unusual.
73mm usual MTB
68mm usual road.
the standard SmBB52 has a 5mm spacer to so it fits both

4)

what is it "let him that is perfect cast the first stone??":whistle:

1. How do you tighten it up
2. Virtually all off road very little maintenance
3. 73mm
4. LIGAF if you wish to troll somebody go find somebody else. Seeking out an unrelated post just so you can post something appears to be an issue with your mental makeup,

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

5000 miles is alot. Any way to measure a bottom bracket. Turn bike upside down. The measurement is the width of the bike frame from crank arm to crank arm

That's 73mm found this one SHIMANO Bearing Shell BSA Bottom Bracket MTB Hollowtech II for Deore SM BB51 / BB52 https://amzn.eu/avWhKOQ but it mentions BSA thread is that normal for a modern EU bike?

C R

Guru
That's 73mm found this one SHIMANO Bearing Shell BSA Bottom Bracket MTB Hollowtech II for Deore SM BB51 / BB52 https://amzn.eu/avWhKOQ but it mentions BSA thread is that normal for a modern EU bike?

That's the most common thread, I thinkit is unlikely that you have anything else. You can find youtube videos on how to take the cranks out and remove and install the bb. You will need a tool to grab the cup, it will likely be tightish, and the drive side thread is left handed. Also it is a fine thread for the diameter of the bore, so easy to cross thread if you are not careful.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@T4tomo - I get the gist of where you're coming from, and have not gone back stalking, but I suggest that BBs like the OP's cannot really benefit from 'maintenance' so the "irony" is not clear to me: what do you think @Phaeton could do, other than to seek a replacement (and on here make sure it was the right one). If this was lack of lubrication or brake/gear adjustment which has caused the deterioration then perhaps you might get traction.
As for car maintenance, whilst it's clearly impractical to require driving licence candidates to change a wheel, a good driving instructor will have included the other items (air/fluid levels) in one of the first lessons they give.
And a good (if capable) parent will demonstrate how to take a wheel off and replace it (though many cars now don't have spare wheels) and then get their offspring to actually do a 'remove and replace'. My father did way bitd, and all my children similarly benefitted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom