Shimano Sora shifter stuck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haffers

Hi,

had a problem on the work commute this morning when the front deraileur shifter decided to jam up, now stuck on the big cog which is not ideal as off to South Devon this weekend for 2 weeks and intend to get a few rides in around the hilly areas.

Anyone encountered similar and have any solutions aside from back to LBS??

Bike is only 5 months old with 1000 odd miles ridden - i clean the drive train & lube the chain each week but have never touched the shifters. Is there any routine mintenance lube wise I could do with them as well?

cheers

Parrot of Doom

It's still well within warranty, so take it back to where you bought it from and get them to fix it.

OP
OP
Haffers

Haffers

It should end up back with them it's just fitting the time in over the next few days before I go away and if not, if anyone had overcome the problem.

Still interested in knowing if anyone does anything to keep them sweet during their normal maintenance though :smile:

Never had anything but clean shifting up to now.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It should end up back with them it's just fitting the time in over the next few days before I go away and if not, if anyone had overcome the problem.

Still interested in knowing if anyone does anything to keep them sweet during their normal maintenance though :smile:

If you roll back the hoods I'm guessing some oil or GT85 in the lever mech would not go amiss.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride

Silly question but have you released the gear cable? Had it happen a couple of times with my SORA. At the very last I have taken 1 apart and reassembled it. That can be a little fiddly but did the trick
cool.gif

OP
OP
Haffers

Haffers

The shifter is in a position where it normally is when in small cog and as such will not move down - downshift lever rock solid and upshift just floppy, no resistance and nothing moves. The small lever looks like it is no longer flush as the rear mech shifter is.

Shall have a tweak with the shifters and gear cable at lunchtime..

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
your symptoms sound like the outer cable casing may have failed. If a few of the wires in the casing pull through the ferrule it effectively lengthens the cable and jams the shifter. had it happen on my sora equipped bike when it was a few hundred kms old. easy to fix, new outer and new ferrules.

worth looking at before you start stripping the shifter.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
your symptoms sound like the outer cable casing may have failed. If a few of the wires in the casing pull through the ferrule it effectively lengthens the cable and jams the shifter. had it happen on my sora equipped bike when it was a few hundred kms old. easy to fix, new outer and new ferrules.

worth looking at before you start stripping the shifter.

An extremely good point :smile:

OP
OP
Haffers

Haffers

I'll check that out as well, no way I'm stripping the shifter though as Evans can do replace if not an obvious thing.

Plenty of ideas to look at and will come i handy if it ever happens again when I'm out & about.

OP
OP
Haffers

Haffers

Thanks all - I released the gear cable and applied a lot of pressure to the shifter and it went back into place. I have given a quick teflon spray in there and have asked bike store to look at and replace when I can get it in. Hopefully the lube will help keep it OK.

Plenty of tips if it happens again though - cheers

Top Bottom