Shimano Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I have had a couple of different Shimano wheel sets. I have been happy with them until I broke spokes. In each case the spokes were hard for LBS' to get hold of. Why is it so hard to get spare parts for these wheels. Any ideas?

Tojo

Über Member
I just put a search on google (replacement spokes for shimano wheels) and it looks like evans stock them for what looks like a few different shimano wheels....:cuppa:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Have a word with Andy at Maccycles or Paul at Rick Greens in Handforth. A lot of shops would rather sell you a new wheelset than try to source a spoke for a factory built wheel. A good wheel builder will either have a few spokes in their workshop or be able to provide an alternative. I had a Mavic wheel with a broken bladed spoke and a direct replacement was a nightmare to source as they were not a current model, but Paul found an alternative that was fine.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I have had a couple of different Shimano wheel sets. I have been happy with them until I broke spokes. In each case the spokes were hard for LBS' to get hold of. Why is it so hard to get spare parts for these wheels. Any ideas?

That is one problem with proprietary components and it applies to hubs and rims too.

The reason why is so difficult to get hold of them is that they are manufactured in limited amounts and when the design of new wheels change then finding the older components is even harder.

I wanted to help a friend of mine with a couple of 2005 Mavic spokes but that has proved impossible.

On the other hand, handbuilt wheels are built with off the shelve components......

Top Bottom