Shoe Size????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Do you normally go one size bigger in cycling shoes over normal shoes, the same as I do with my running shoes?
jogger

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Depends of the brand, a lot of people find Shimano, in particular, a narrow fit. Best thing is to find an LBS that sells the ones you like the look of and try a pair on to check the sizing. Where you actually buy is up to you...

Bigtwin

With Sidis I find them on the minimal side size-wise, so for winter a size up to get socks in. My Specialized MTB shoes are a bit more generous.

And I have a whole size up pair of boots for winter SPD use.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
+1 for what Hairy Jock says.

The other problem is that the manufacturers don't seem to sing from the same hymn sheet when measurements are involved so that a 44 from one brand will be a different size from a 44 of another brand.

If you don't fancy shop prices then I have always found experienced eBay sellers quite knowledgeable on the sizes of the shoes they are selling and a query should elicit the required info.

Even in the same make they vary; I felt the 42 spesh tahos were rubbing my little toe and went for 43's where as my 42 spesh mtb sport fit like a glove. As said the different brands are funny too I had to go 44's in my Shimano Roadbike shoes to get the width.

MajorMantra

I normally take a Euro 43 or UK 9. My £16 Lidl's are that size and fit well though they're quite wide. Shimano road shoes don't seem to fit me. A 44 is about right lengthwise but they're too wide for me and I run out of strap to tighten them - odd considering most people call them narrow. A 44 Sidi road shoe is about right for me.

In short - try before you buy!

Matthew

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
The Jogger said:
Do you normally go one size bigger in cycling shoes over normal shoes, the same as I do with my running shoes?
jogger
As others have said it does indeed vary between brands and also type, SPD ATB shoes for example are sometimes wider in the toe box as they are often offer some protection against knocks while off road riding.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom