Shoes - Road or Tri??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
My trusty Specalized MTB shoes have served me well.. but are starting to look a little battered now and I fancy an upgrade to proper road pedals and shoes

I am a bit of a novice triathlete so wondering if I'd be better off getting a pair of triathlon shoes like these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-tri-race-shoes/

I guess they are easier/quicker to put on... but would be be suitable for normal everyday cycling use as well?

The next question will be which pedals to go for....

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
If you're going to be racing tris and that's the main aim then definitely get tri shoes that can be attached to the pedals with elastic bands and got into and out of quickly. A lot of time penalties are racked up in the transition areas.

They look like they should be fine for normal none tri cycling too.

Pedals...I love my Look Keo Sprint- they're a pain to walk in though but cleat covers are fine- still might be worth considering walkability for those transition areas!

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
yeah thats one thing that im worried about.... walking around... it should only be short distances though.. I could learn what the pros do and get into the shoes while on the move... is that what you mean by attaching the shoes to the pedals by elastic band?

I have joined a local tri club and entered a few more for this summer, I think ive caught the tri bug... but i am rubbish speed wise so at the moment im not looking to break transitiion time records or anything like that but i do want to start taking it all more seriously.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
road cleats are not generally well designed for walking on - especially if you're in a hurry or running in them - I walk with my shoes from the heel to avoid putting too much pressure on the cleat.

I can't say I would fancy running or needing to get somewhere quick in them but to be frank most road cleats will pose a bit of an issue- have you asked your tri clubmates what they use and why? A wealth of knowledge there for sure.

Yes, attaching the shoes by elastic to the pedal saves time and as you're doing it on bike and traversing- so I hear but I think it takes practice to get right and as it's an elastic band- you can put tension onto it to snap it to get rid of it once you're on and off. It certainly solves the problem of walking in cleats!! Poses a few new issues though!!

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
good point.. i will check with the others at the next training session.

I think majority of my riding will still be normal road riding, mainly wanted to see if tri shoes will fit the bill for both.. I'm not cool (or rich) enough to have multiple pairs of cycling shoes..

I think the elastic band trick and getting in and out of them while on the road could be a disaster waiting to happen for me....

Top Bottom