shoes rubbing on chainstays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Oh did not realise it was a health issue
What. size 10's? :dry:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Agreed, unfortunately my "natural gait" is with my feet pointing at about 5 to 1, therefore I set my cleats so that I pedal with my feet in that position, which as far as I am aware is the correct thing to do.
It is correct.
The normal recommendation is to check your foot angle sitting on a table with your feet dangling, rather than walking, but either way, the cleats should give a position where you aren't conscious of yor foot being twisted.

The pedal spacers are cheaper now, but longer term if may be worth using an MTB rather than a road chainset. These place the pedals wider so the cranks clear chainstays meant for fat tyres plus mud.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Another thing to look at is saddle height, if you move it up it tends to move your heals out, move it down for 5 to 1. May be with a bit of tweaking 12 oclock may feel natural and you knees would be fine.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This aint about the natural angle of someones foot.

Its about someone who don't know how to ride / set up a bike properly
Sorry, but I have exactly the same issue!

My natural pedalling style is heels in/toes out and so I normally get a hint of heel rub. It is so slight that I can normally adjust it out or angle my feet slightly less.

It's a different matter when wearing thick neoprene overshoes though - I do my best to minimise the problem but the heels of my overshoes always eventually end up rubbing again.

mattsccm

Without wanting to rattle any more cages, might I suggest that this is a feature of overshoes. Road bikes are generally built with a low Q factor that set the pedals as close together as possible. Overshoes wouldn't be part of the manufactures equation. How about some stronger overshoes. My neoprene ones have rubbed the coasting of the cranks yet show zero sign of damage.

ACW

small bit of duct tape on the overshoes, replace when worn, i have a wear mark on the frame after 30000 miles i am through the paint , primer just starting on the alloy

PpPete

Legendary Member
small bit of duct tape on the overshoes, replace when worn, i have a wear mark on the frame after 30000 miles i am through the paint , primer just starting on the alloy

Sounds like a good excuse for a new bike? "Sorry dear, but I've worn out the frame on this one". ^_^

tyred

Legendary Member
This aint about the natural angle of someones foot.

Its about someone who don't know how to ride / set up a bike properly

It is about the natural angle of someone's foot. I suffer from this too and trying to force your foot into an unnatural (for you) position is a very bad idea if you like having knees which work.

My natural riding position on a bike with flat pedals has the outside edge of my left foot over the edge of the pedal, comfortable for me as it allows my foot to be in it's correct natural position. The first time I ever rode a long distance with toe clips, I almost crippled myself with knee pain. If I want to use any kind of foot retention, I need the adaptors recommended by Numbnuts so I can get my left foot in it's natural position and no knee pain.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It might be a good idea to put some tape on the frame as well!

I have a Lizard Skins chainstay protector on my mountain bike to stop chain-slap damaging the frame but it also protects against heel-rub. The other stay has the paint worn away where my left heel has repeatedly contacted it.

Top Bottom