Shoes, trainers all round cycling trekking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhb123

Regular
Can anyone suggest a not too expensive shoe that would be ideal for cycling, and walking for the summer months? Or are sandals better, and then wear socks?

vickster

Legendary Member
Assuming you mean flat pedals not clipless, I use trail running shoes, lightweight ones with a thicker sole than a running trainer.
Try Decathlon
Sandals with socks :ohmy:

Can anyone suggest a not too expensive shoe that would be ideal for cycling, and walking for the summer months? Or are sandals better, and then wear socks?
Decathlon do simple trail runners type shoes that I find OK for both in terms of value, quality and comfort. My preferred ones, though, are an Ecco trail type shoe that is very light and very well ventilated.
I also wear sandals on the bike and don merino wool socks when the weather is cool, cold or wet. Not great for walking great distances, though and maybe not for rough stuff.
Quality walking boots do it all.
Just on this, and it may well be unique to me but I wore boots all the time. Working, walking and on the bike. When I changed to non-boot footwear I had a lot of problems with my ankles, namely that they had become quite weak and failed to support me at times. This occurred around about the time I started upping my cycling distances. It may or may not be related.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've learnt the hard way that footwear with flexible soles is a very bad thing for cycling.

I now have some very stiff Shimano sandals that are excellent in summer and use decent quality trainers the rest of the time.

I need extra ankle support because I went and damaged my ankle in my 20's so I tend to wear whatever good quality boots I can get from the local charity shop. I also use these to stop said bots sliding about:

20629.jpg

Treking style shoes have sufficient stiffness for cycling. Pick ones that fit your feet, wallet and rainfall level.
The sole pattern should be grippy enough for your pedals but should not slot in and restrict movement.
Reflective bits are a bonus.

mustang1

Guru
Running shoes for me with a thick sole. They are bendy but I seem to be ok with them (I ride my MTB with large platform pedals). They're great for walking but I primarily bought them for running.

After an MTB (or muddy run) ride, I'll hose them down and let the washing machine do the rest. 24 hours later they are dry from the heat of the radiator.

They were about £50 some years ago so that shows I didn't run in them too much :smile:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I need extra ankle support because I went and damaged my ankle in my 20's so I tend to wear whatever good quality boots I can get from the local charity shop. I also use these to stop said bots sliding about:

View attachment 674828

Interesting Andy….

I’ve got ‘full’ toe clips and straps on the Gravel / best road bike. Just platform pedals on the MTB (So I can touch-down easily and quickly ! And have just fitted the very same 1/2 toe-clips to the commuter as a halfway house for better / constant foot positioning, less tendency to slip etc whilst still being able to release out easily at traffic lights / train lines or even doing short trips etc. We’ll see how that works out in time….

Top Bottom